New build, XP/hard drive issue

Envied

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
I recently built a new system (my first) and I am having a slight issue. I still want to use my old hard drive with this new build, but XP wont work because I have a new processor/mobo.

When I try to start the computer, it will say windows failed to boot, and gives me the options to boot normally or in safe mode. Regardless of which one is picked, it will show the blue XP screen for a moment (less than a second). Then a blue error screen flashes briefly and the process starts over again at the POST screen.

I have been told that this is because it is impossible to use a previous install.

Is it possible to install a new copy of xp onto that hard drive, even though there is one already on it, so it will support the new hardware?

Also, if it cant be done, and if I need a new hard drive, can I still use my old hard-drive in addition to the new one? Or, would it possibly cause issues with 2 separate drives with 2 separate copies of xp?

System:

en8800 GT
IP35 pro mobo
e6750
2gb corsair twin-x ram
500w PSU that came with case (temporary, I am getting a corsair 520hx soon, most likely with the new hard drive if i need one)

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
akhilles has it right, can be done as stated.
If you cant do that for some reason, you can always re-install XP onto the new system...that's why we want you to keep the install CD's.

btw - good link

Envied

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
I pieced together my old computer, but had to boot in safe mode (video card wasn't on hand, and had some other pci things not put in).

I printed out the guide and followed it step by step. After I disabled ACPI and shut it down, I put the drive into the new computer. It would get to the point where its about to load windows, then the blue screen flashes for a split second, then goes back to the start and repeats.

Should I just back up my important things and completely wipe the drive?

Chazwuzzer

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Depending on the make of your HD, I'd replace it as well - you can replace older models with radically superior drives for next to nothing.

Then install your OS onto a small partition (20GB or so) and upgrade to SP2 so that you will be able to use the full size of your other partition (assuming that your new drive wil be in the 250-350GB or larger range).

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
How to reinstall XP without losing your apps and settings:

Boot from the XP CD, select "install" (NOT Repair), select "R" for repair, and XP will do a repair install, overwriting iteself and finding the new hardware. You don't have to delete old drivers, XP will wipe them out on a repair install. Once you can boot form the HD, you can install your new drivers.

Envied

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007

How would I go about booting from the XP cd. I only get a quick post screen, then it goes right into trying to start XP, where it says it failed to load it and gives me the option to boot normally, or in safe mode/safe with networking etc. No matter which one I pick, I just get the quick blue flash and it goes back to post.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
quick question, why put the OS on a 20gb partition? to keep it seperate from data and game files? so if you need to reinstall you only lose the OS?
do you sacrafice any speed with the OS on 1 partition say C:, and all of your game files on D:?
Is it more stable this way?
thanks for the info in advance

akhilles

Splendid

Did you install standard pc acpi & uninstall the drivers? I don't follow that guide to the letter. I don't reboot. Just shut down. Then upgrade parts. Boot XP up. It'll be slow like installing a new copy of XP. I usually don't touch the ACPI. I did one last time. It still worked. You must get rid of the old drivers. Right-click it to uninstall, no to restart. Do the rest. Then shut down.

To disable the BSOD, tab F8 at boot, select disable automatically restart...

You have to back up your stuff or else you'll learn a lesson. Doesn't have to be everything. Just bookmarks, etc. on a USB drive.

TRENDING THREADS