siphilpot

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Hello, I need suggestions on what motherboard ,AMD Phenom II 6x processor, memory, graphics card, case and power supply I should use to build a new computer? I'm looking for speed and reliability.
Add a reply

Approximate Purchase Date: next 30 days

Budget Range: $1200-1400/ After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Adobe Photoshop & Premier, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies,

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: AMD Phenom II 6x , Asus, Gigabyte, Biostar, & Abit I’ve used all four brands

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution:, 1280x1024,

Additional Comments: Will also need case and power supply. Will run windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Get the Phenom IIx6 1055t if you intend to overclock. All seem to overclock about the same. If you are willing to pay $100 more for the 1090t with the unlocked multiplier, go for it. But I wouldn't.

Gaming: You didn't say what games. Regardless, the GTX460's and radeon 68xx series are good value. But you budget could probably fit a GTX570 so I recommend that.

I recommend 8GB of DDR3 memory and an AM3 motherboard with a 78x, 79x or 8xx chipset. Someone else will be able to better suggest a motherboard for overclocking. I recommend 8GB of memory for your photoshop and premier uses. Get 2x4GB. Mushkin is my brand preference but I have heard good things about corsair and Gskill and kingston. Really, the only brand I would avoid is OCZ. Too many reported defective units. Anyway, you can then upgrade to 16GB if you find you need it.

If you want to go way under your budget, then you can reduce the money spent on your video card because of the very low resolution monitor.

For power supplies, look into an OCZ 700W, Corsair 650W or something by antec (earthwatts series only) or seasonic.

I've found my antec 300 to be a good budget case. Excellent airflow, 3 speed fans and a front air filter. But I don't have experience with cases over $70 so someone else can help you there.

If you still want to meet your price and are not overclocking, spend the extra for the 1100t 3.3GHz x6. Even though it is not the best for your dollar, there's nowhere else to spend the money.