Question New build

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Thinking about doing a full AMD build, might wait for the new navi stuff to come out. I definitely want to go with the ryzen 3700x thats coming out,but dont know what gpu. Im thinking a new gpu coming out with navi but if not either a radeon vii or a vega card. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
I wouldn't hold my breath on AMD graphics cards (Navi). They have been known to be years late. Radeon VII is good. RTX 2080 is faster. But either would be
I wouldn't hold my breath on AMD graphics cards (Navi). They have been known to be years late. Radeon VII is good. RTX 2080 is faster. But either would be a good choice.
Ya ill stick with the radeon vii again trying to do a full amd build. Kinda tired of paying crazy prices for anything intel or nvidia. Right now i have an amazing system i game and stream but have been doing it a lot less so i dont need the crazy system i currently have.

Apr 15, 2019
Honestly, I heard a lot of good stuff about the new AMD graphics line so it may be worth a look. Yes they failed a bit in the past and lagged behind the competition for ages, but they're stepping up their game a lot this time around.

I would wait and see what they bring to the table.
All of the recent press says they won't disappoint.

I know once the 3700 comes out, I'll be there, as my current system is all amd as well and I couldn't be happier.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Honestly, I heard a lot of good stuff about the new AMD graphics line so it may be worth a look. Yes they failed a bit in the past and lagged behind the competition for ages, but they're stepping up their game a lot this time around.

I would wait and see what they bring to the table.
All of the recent press says they won't disappoint.

I know once the 3700 comes out, I'll be there, as my current system is all amd as well and I couldn't be happier.
Ya ive read all good things again i just dont wanna pay these crazy prices anymore plus again the system i have now i have a i7 9700k and a rtx 2080 but im not on as much as I was so there no reason for me to have have such expensive stuff when i could sell all of that and get pretty much almost same results but for cheaper ya know. Plus i want to start supporting the little guy.

Reactions: Wasp¬
Ya ive read all good things again i just dont wanna pay these crazy prices anymore plus again the system i have now i have a i7 9700k and a rtx 2080 but im not on as much as I was so there no reason for me to have have such expensive stuff when i could sell all of that and get pretty much almost same results but for cheaper ya know. Plus i want to start supporting the little guy.
Were you on here last week asking about this? All I will say is that's NOT a good way to save money. You will likely have lower performance and will pay more because your parts are used and you won't get as much for them.

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan

If you already have a 9700K, you already have one of the top of the line CPUs currently available, there's no reason to upgrade to Ryzen 3. You won't save any money in the long run and you'll actually be paying twice what you paid for the 9700K rig, since you still have to pay that off. That's something you need to consider if you really decide to go through with this.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy
If you just want to support Team Red that's one thing. Just don't expect to save money by downgrading. It would be different if you were downgrading to say the Ryzen 5 3600 and an RX 590. Then you would have a few hundred dollars leftover. Other than that you will spend either the same or more on inferior parts. Radeon VII is slower than the RTX 2080 and I am putting my money on the i7-9700K still being faster in gaming than anything AMD will release this year. I hope I'm wrong.

g-unit1111

Titan
If you just want to support Team Red that's one thing. Just don't expect to save money by downgrading. It would be different if you were downgrading to say the Ryzen 5 3600 and an RX 590. Then you would have a few hundred dollars leftover. Other than that you will spend either the same or more on inferior parts. Radeon VII is slower than the RTX 2080 and I am putting my money on the i7-9700K still being faster in gaming than anything AMD will release this year. I hope I'm wrong.

The only advantage I see in having the 3700X is that you would be getting a 16 core / 32 thread CPU vs an 8 core / 16 thread CPU. If you see the advantage in that, that's one thing. But if you're upgrading because reasons, then there's no reasonable advantage to buying one $500 CPU vs buying another $500 CPU. Look at it in those terms.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
The only advantage I see in having the 3700X is that you would be getting a 16 core / 32 thread CPU vs an 8 core / 16 thread CPU. If you see the advantage in that, that's one thing. But if you're upgrading because reasons, then there's no reasonable advantage to buying one $500 CPU vs buying another $500 CPU. Look at it in those terms.
Do we already know the priced though.

g-unit1111

Titan
Everything ive seen is the 3700x is gonna be $330 and there are actually even higher ryzen cpu's coming out with it

Yes there's the 3850X which is going to retail for around $599 at first and that's the 16 / 32 CPU I was referring to earlier. And I think I remember hearing that there's one even higher than that but don't quote me on that.

But again switching from a 9700K to a 3700X isn't really going to save you money per se, and it will NOT save you money in the long run, or even the short run. Especially if you put your original rig on a credit card, you'll be paying on that plus interest for years to come, and you will still not come out ahead monetary wise by going with a slightly less expensive CPU. If you can return some of your hardware, that would be one thing, but stores are reluctant to take things like that back just because you changed your mind.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Yes there's the 3850X which is going to retail for around $599 at first and that's the 16 / 32 CPU I was referring to earlier. And I think I remember hearing that there's one even higher than that but don't quote me on that.

But again switching from a 9700K to a 3700X isn't really going to save you money per se, and it will NOT save you money in the long run, or even the short run. Especially if you put your original rig on a credit card, you'll be paying on that plus interest for years to come, and you will still not come out ahead monetary wise by going with a slightly less expensive CPU. If you can return some of your hardware, that would be one thing, but stores are reluctant to take things like that back just because you changed your mind.
I straight up bought all my parts and built my own. I normally sell all my stuff through ebay and have done very well doing so. When i had a 1080 gpu i only sold it for 20 dollars less than what i bought it for.

I think Ryzen 3000 series will see a price hike. Intel paved the way for that. I expect Ryzen 7 3700X to cost $350-$380. Even then I heard rumor that it will be a paper release with limited stock availability. You can sell your i7-9700K for $400 on eBay. eBay takes 10% and PayPal takes 4% and you have to pay for shipping. That pretty much cancels out any profit there. Radeon VII costs $700 and you can buy/sell RTX 2080 for $700 on eBay. You will lose money there.

Reactions: g-unit1111

g-unit1111

Titan
I straight up bought all my parts and built my own. I normally sell all my stuff through ebay and have done very well doing so. When i had a 1080 gpu i only sold it for 20 dollars less than what i bought it for.

If you can do that, great. But as @MrN1ce9uy said after seller fees you probably won't make that much back, and Radeon VII just isn't worth it. I'd stick with the 2080 you have now. I have a 2070 on my AMD rig and it works very well.

I think Ryzen 3000 series will see a price hike. Intel paved the way for that. I expect Ryzen 7 3700X to cost $350-$380. Even then I heard rumor that it will be a paper release with limited stock availability. You can sell your i7-9700K for $400 on eBay. eBay takes 10% and PayPal takes 4% and you have to pay for shipping. That pretty much cancels out any profit there. Radeon VII costs $700 and you can buy/sell RTX 2080 for $700 on eBay. You will lose money there.

Yeah that sounds about right, I would definitely expect that the Ryzen 3s will cost more than their Ryzen 2 equivalents. I think the 3850X is going to be priced to compete with the 9900K so expect that around the $550 - $600 mark.

There is almost no chance that the 3700x is going to be an improvement over your current 9700k. In fact, there IS no chance. The ONLY way that CPU would be of any benefit would be if you are planning to game while recording, encoding and streaming, simultaneously, or some equally heavy multitasking. If the new Ryzen chips manage to even reach current Intel single core IPC, I'll be very surprised. If you simply want more cores it would be a lot cheaper to upgrade to a higher end Intel CPU than to replace the whole platform.