lorgox

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hi, I am building my first pc :) I need to pick a motherboard. I will be using it for gaming, school, work, and storage. I want a reliable board from a company with great customer service. I hear terrible stories about motherboards. I do not want to be in one. No budget, but I'm pretty sure I do not need to get a board over 300$.

Thanks!

mysteryos

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
The Asus Maximus V Gene-Z:

asus_maximus_v_gene_features_01_thumb.jpg

It has premium features with a suitable pricing($199 @ Newegg w/ free shipping)
Quick Pro & Cons list:

Pros:

-Packed with added features and options not seen on some other products in the same price range.
-Clean and simple color-themed layout.
-Fully functional AMI UEFI BIOS, including mouse support and support for 3 TB+ drives.
-Full functionality of an ATX board, shrunk down to mATX size.
-One of the most diverse and most functional overclocking BIOSes to date.
-Highest tested overclock performance efficiency.
-Excellent audio performance.
-Free added performance with custom Turbo profile, without pushing up power consumption noticibly.
-One of the most versatile "SmartFan" implementations yet.
-One of the biggest software packages in the industry.

Cons:

-Low SATA performance numbers
-Add-on mPCIE card retention mechanism questionable
-Relatively high price
-Limited temperature monitoring
-Software installation immediately offers install of Google Chrome, and nothing else without a few clicks, and no easy directions.

Link to manufacturer's product page

lorgox

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
this is going into a corsair c70, already owned. I will eventually get an audiophile level sound card. I will be using ivy bridge. When i said this will be used for gaming. Im not really a super serious gamer (no 3 screen or 3d setups). the boards i really liked the features of, but the reviews put me off were the asus p8z77-v deluxe, and the intel dz77-ga-70k.

mysteryos

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
If you need the WIFI, bluebooth & dual LAN that the P8Z77-V Deluxe provides, then go for it. It is also $60 more expensive than the Gene. About Intel motherboards, you only pay for the brand. They don't have great features as such.

TRENDING THREADS