PC7717

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hey guys,

I've put together a new build and was looking for some feedback. FWIW, DS will be building it. I'm basic savy when it comes to the internal components of a PC but I've been doing several weeks of research to improve upon that and this is what I've nailed it down to. Also, this is a somewhat budget gaming rig so 2k was my max and DS prices this @ 1792.00 Anything you would add/omit ? Price reasonable ?

Chassis Model: Corsair Obsidian 550D
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Cooling: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
Chassis Airflow: Performance fans (one step up from the case base fans)
Both the CPU and the GPU will be OC'd.

The non performance system specs:

1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
On board sound, though I will acquire a sound card @ a later date
Win 7
5 year warranty + lifetime tech support

I chose the i5 3570k instead of a i7 because I have no desire to utilize HT and the performance for both chips is almost dead even as far as gaming is concerned, from what I've read anyways.

I chose the 660 TI 2 gb due to its impressive benchmarks and OCing potential ... for the price, it just seems unbeatable.

16 GB of RAM is overkill but it's so cheap I splurged. That being said, the Sabretooth supports up to 1833, would it be worth throwing in an extra $ 30 for the 1833 ?

The PS isn't modular but there's plenty of room in the case and the reviews seem positive. I will probably upgrade this first, as I will most likely SLI another 660 TI in the next few months and while this PS is SLI capable I'm not sure I'd trust enough to do the job consistently and for a long enough period of time.

I've read nothing but glowing reviews about the ASUS sabretooth. Tons of options and very future proof.

I chose DS because I haven't built a PC in years and their quality and CS seems unmatched.

Thanks for looking

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Well off the top of my head, that system could probably be built for about 1500-1600 if you did it from scratch. Besides, building a PC has become a lot easier than it was in past if anything.
Buddy, there is no such thing as "future-proof" when it comes to computers. Not to mention, Intel's going to introduce a whole new socket along with their Haswell CPUs next year.

PC7717

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hi Jackson, thanks for the reply. Of course I, as well as others, use the term "future proof" loosely; nothing is future proof as technology is ever evolving. Room for expansion and upgrades more fits the definition.

I'm glad to hear the cost as I am more than happy to spend an additional 2-300 to have it professionally built by DS.

I am completely unfamiliar with this socket and new chip set, I have some more research ahead of me.

When I posted the build, I was more looking for feedback on the build itself, I.E. is it a good gaming rig ? How's the potential for future upgrading ? Arguments for or against the components that I have chosen. However, I certainly appreciate your reply and will look more into that socket and chipset.

Thanks for looking.