Question New Builder. Cpu OC on its own

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
10900K has the exclusive Thermal Velocity Boost:
Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost Frequency

Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost (Intel® TVB) is a feature that opportunistically and automatically increases clock frequency above single-core and multi-core Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequencies based on how much the processor is operating below its maximum temperature and whether turbo power budget is available. The frequency gain and duration is dependent on the workload, capabilities of the processor and the processor cooling solution.

The feature is active up to 70C.

Reactions: SamirD
How do you define 'overclocking on it's own'? (Please realize the 3.7 GHz is a minimum advertised boost, and, almost nonsense on a Z490)

Normal behavior would be for it to boost to 5.1 on a single core, maybe 5.2 GHz ever so briefly, and, for all core loadings, perhaps 4.8 GHz or so...(some mainboards may enforce a 125W TDP, so lower clock speeds somewhat after 90-120 seconds or so... (MCE( MultiCore Enhancement), when enabled in the BIOS, would attempt to boost all cores closer to 5.1/5.2 GHz if cooling allows and power limits are removed...

What clock speeds /temps are/were you seeing, and under what sort of load?

Jan 3, 2021
How do you define 'overclocking on it's own'? (Please realize the 3.7 GHz is a minimum advertised boost, and, almost nonsense on a Z490)

Normal behavior would be for it to boost to 5.1 on a single core, maybe 5.2 GHz ever so briefly, and, for all core loadings, perhaps 4.8 GHz or so...(some mainboards may enforce a 125W TDP, so lower clock speeds somewhat after 90-120 seconds or so... (MCE( MultiCore Enhancement), when enabled in the BIOS, would attempt to boost all cores closer to 5.1/5.2 GHz if cooling allows and power limits are removed...

What clock speeds /temps are/were you seeing, and under what sort of load?
When I startup my pc and open NZXT cam to monitor everything my cpu is allready running at between 4.8-5.1 and running between 38 and 40 degrees. So this is a normal thing?

The clock speeds are indeed normal when tasks are occurring/started/launched, but, if in Balanced Power mode, once the flurry of post-initial bootup activity is complete and all the auto-runs are accomplished, cloud storage syncs, AV scans, etc., clock speeds should normally fall back down to 1000-1400 MHz to conserve power/heat...

(I personally can see no advantage to Performance Mode whatsoever given the behavior I've observed, as described above, when in Balanced Power plan, which, allows low clock speeds when surfing, watching Youtube, and yet ramps up instantly to full clock speeds when playing games, editing, etc...)

(Not sure if folks have had issues with NZXT's cam keeping CPU usage high or not, as I am unfamiliar with this app)

Jan 3, 2021
The clock speeds are indeed normal when tasks are occurring/started/launched, but, if in Balanced Power mode, once the flurry of post-initial bootup activity is complete and all the auto-runs are accomplished, cloud storage syncs, AV scans, etc., clock speeds should normally fall back down to 1000-1400 MHz to conserve power/heat...

(I personally can see no advantage to Performance Mode whatsoever given the behavior I've observed, as described above, when in Balanced Power plan, which, allows low clock speeds when surfing, watching Youtube, and yet ramps up instantly to full clock speeds when playing games, editing, etc...)

(Not sure if folks have had issues with NZXT's cam keeping CPU usage high or not, as I am unfamiliar with this app)
Mines running at around 5000 all the time

Jan 3, 2021
Is there a guide on how to do this? I just upgraded from an i7-930 to a 10850K. I'd like to set some things manually for myself without having the mobo overvolt my CPU.
I want to have a setting for 4.6Ghz All cores for every day use. And a 5.0 all cores for gaming and video editing @StudMuffinQR
no clue. my bios was on default settings an doing this. the only way ive been able to get it down is by using ai suite 3 and even then when my pc starts back up its hovering around 5 again. im a complete noob to pc's and im scared <Mod Edit> going to start to brake.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS