[SOLVED] New builder - rate my rig?

Nov 22, 2020
Hi,

I've never built a desktop, but decided it was time to finally give it a shot : )
If anyone has a few, would you mind taking a look at the components below and let me know what you think?
Finally done buying them and just want to make sure I didn't miss anything compatibility-wise before it's too late to cancel:

The Black Box
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel / Plastic Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99)
PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W 80+ Gold, ECO, Fanless, Silent & Cooling Mode ($99.99)
Mobo: B450M Bazooka Max - DDR4-2666, 7.1 Audio, M.2, Gbit LAN - WiFi, BT Integrated ($89.99)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-Core 3.0 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo) AM4 65W ($159.99)
GPU: Radeon RX580 ARMOR OC 8Ghz 8GB 256 DDR5 PCIe x16 HDCP CrossfireX ($179.99)
SSD: WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCIe 3.0 x4 3D NAND WDS100T2B0C ($94.99)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3200 SDRAM XMP 2.0 ($134.99)
Fans (x8): Vicabo 120mm 16dB Ultra Silent 33 White LED Case Fans ($31.50)
Subtotal: ($691.45)

Peripherals:
Monitors (x2): Acer Nitro Gaming 24" Full HD 1920x1080 1ms 75 Hz D-Sub, 2x (x2 =$239.98)
BD DL/XL Burner:LG Electronics 14X SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter, Black ($59.99)
DVD/CD RW/DL: LG Internal 24x Super Multi with M-DISC Support SATA ($17.99)
Card Reader: 5.25" USB 3.0 SD,CF,MS,XD TF M2 Card Reader w/ eSATA,2x SSD/HDD ($25.99)
SSD Cloner / Dock: Wavlink Drive Dock - USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay HDD SSD 2.5" and 3.5" Drives ($22.99)
Webcam/Mic: TROPRO 1080P USB Webcam Full HD with Cover, Expandable Tripod ($24.99)
Controllers: FirstPower 2.4GHz Wireless Gaming Controller PS4 Style ($9.99)
Speakers: Logitech S150 USB Stereo Speakers ($12.99)
Subtotal: ($410.97)

Total: $1102.42

Any insights you have are greatly appreciated.
Thank you, and have a great day : )

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the advice on the PSU. Yeah, everything I was reading told me the Rosewill PSU that came with my case was garbage, so I thought I should get another one.

Yes that consensus would be true about the PSUs that come built into cases like that - most are junk. Most micro ATX cases and even a few ITX cases can house full size PSUs, and it is always better if they are modular.

The 10TB drive I happened to already have and am donating to this system - it's not intended for programs - those will be on the SSD - but only for document and media storage - as our "library." All the action will be happening on the 1TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 v4. Kind of excited that this type of NAND SSD doesn't require taking up a drive bay, as it'll...

g-unit1111

Titan
No I'd stay away from that Rosewill PSU. Get at least a Seasonic Focus or a Corsair RMX but for the most part I'd avoid most of the stuff Rosewill makes.

Also why purchase a 10TB external hard drive? Not only does that seem like excess overkill, you do not run any programs from an external hard drive for any reason.

The BD-R burner also seems like a waste of money, most everything is streaming now.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020
What are you going to be doing with the PC?

Your buying a case that comes with a power supply and buying a power supply neither are very good.
Well, I looked up the model number for the PSU that came with the case, and from everything I'm reading, it's ancient and antiquated and shouldn't be used for anything other than a museum piece, so I decided to get another one. : )

But I really don't know what I'm doing since I've never tried building before, so I have no idea what a good PSU is.

I'll be using this for - everything, essentially. This will be the workhorse for the household, sitting in the living room on a 3-screen setup (2 for the PC, 1 for the Roku / other TV stuff), but I'm going to set it up to be able to put anything on any of the 3 screens with switches. I'll be converting our thousands of old CDs and DVDs into 100 or less BDs for long-term storage (I prefer having discs to pop in, and also as a secondary backup, just a quirk).

It'll also be used for some gaming - I'm going to be beta testing a virtual reality game - doesn't have to be able to play a game released yesterday at maximum settings, but does need to be able to play most games at low/medium graphics settings.

Also probably be used quite a bit as a Media Center and for editing videos, so the GPU is going to be pretty key, which is why I've left the decision on what GPU to get for last, I want to make sure I get that right.

Also I might do some very minimal server hosting, but it'll probably be less hassle just to use a cloud host.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
No I'd stay away from that Rosewill PSU. Get at least a Seasonic Focus or a Corsair RMX but for the most part I'd avoid most of the stuff Rosewill makes.

Also why purchase a 10TB external hard drive? Not only does that seem like excess overkill, you do not run any programs from an external hard drive for any reason.

The BD-R burner also seems like a waste of money, most everything is streaming now.

To add onto this, 10TB by itself is risky business in terms of redundancy. Putting all your eggs into one basket so-to-speak. If you're on a budget, which you seem to be, it would make more sense to go with two lesser internal drives.

Regards the CPU. If gaming is your main concern, you might be better off with a higher end model or one with better single core performance. For the GPU, 1650-s or 1660-s if you can afford it.

Reactions: Madam Airlock

g-unit1111

Titan
To add onto this, 10TB by itself is risky business in terms of redundancy. Putting all your eggs into one basket so-to-speak. If you're on a budget, which you seem to be, it would make more sense to go with two lesser internal drives.

Yes, that is a good point. At some point the drives become too large to manage on their own. Also makes it very difficult for backups.

If your budget is $900 this would be a much better use of it, IMO:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($112.93 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ B&H)
Total: $857.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-23 13:06 EST-0500

Then you can add an external USB BD-R burner which would be OK to use. You could even drop the extra cooler and then use the cooler that is included with the 2600X to save money there.

Nov 22, 2020

Thanks for the advice on the PSU. Yeah, everything I was reading told me the Rosewill PSU that came with my case was garbage, so I thought I should get another one.

The 10TB drive I happened to already have and am donating to this system - it's not intended for programs - those will be on the SSD - but only for document and media storage - as our "library." All the action will be happening on the 1TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 v4. Kind of excited that this type of NAND SSD doesn't require taking up a drive bay, as it'll leave 3 for me to add additional SSDs later once that 1TB fills up.

I like being able to burn CDs/DVDs/BDs for friends and family, and I also like having discs to pop in that work as a secondary backup - this will be the first Bluray burner I've owned though because I agree, it's overkill. But I'm not making this build for profit, just to learn and create a good all-purpose PC for myself and 1 other person to use.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes that consensus would be true about the PSUs that come built into cases like that - most are junk. Most micro ATX cases and even a few ITX cases can house full size PSUs, and it is always better if they are modular.

The 10TB drive I happened to already have and am donating to this system - it's not intended for programs - those will be on the SSD - but only for document and media storage - as our "library." All the action will be happening on the 1TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 v4. Kind of excited that this type of NAND SSD doesn't require taking up a drive bay, as it'll leave 3 for me to add additional SSDs later once that 1TB fills up.

Most people don't include stuff like that in their budget. If you do mark it as already purchased.

And yes M2 drives are great for that, they're pretty much all I ever buy anymore. I have all 3 M2 slots on my motherboard filled up and they are so much better than mechanical HDs while taking up less room.

I like being able to burn CDs/DVDs/BDs for friends and family, and I also like having discs to pop in that work as a secondary backup - this will be the first Bluray burner I've owned though because I agree, it's overkill. But I'm not making this build for profit, just to learn and create a good all-purpose PC for myself and 1 other person to use.

That is one thing where having an external drive would be of some benefit, though external BD-Rs are hard to come by anymore. If you want a case with 3.5" drive bays, there's much better ones that you could consider. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro M and less expensive Corsair 200R are much better choices than that Rosewill one.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I looked up the model number for the PSU that came with the case, and from everything I'm reading, it's ancient and antiquated and shouldn't be used for anything other than a museum piece, so I decided to get another one. : )

But I really don't know what I'm doing since I've never tried building before, so I have no idea what a good PSU is.

I'll be using this for - everything, essentially. This will be the workhorse for the household, sitting in the living room on a 3-screen setup (2 for the PC, 1 for the Roku / other TV stuff), but I'm going to set it up to be able to put anything on any of the 3 screens with switches. I'll be converting our thousands of old CDs and DVDs into 100 or less BDs for long-term storage (I prefer having discs to pop in, and also as a secondary backup, just a quirk).

It'll also be used for some gaming - I'm going to be beta testing a virtual reality game - doesn't have to be able to play a game released yesterday at maximum settings, but does need to be able to play most games at low/medium graphics settings.

Also probably be used quite a bit as a Media Center and for editing videos, so the GPU is going to be pretty key, which is why I've left the decision on what GPU to get for last, I want to make sure I get that right.

Also I might do some very minimal server hosting, but it'll probably be less hassle just to use a cloud host.
You can buy just the case for 26 bucks.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168111...V5cuGCh3GhwETEAQYBCABEgKNfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Nov 22, 2020

Regards the CPU. If gaming is your main concern, you might be better off with a higher end model or one with better single core performance. For the GPU, 1650-s or 1660-s if you can afford it.
Thanks, I'll see if I can snag a 1650-s or 1660-s for under $200 on the best Black Friday deal I can find.

Not worried about the 10TB drive, it's only for data, not the OS or programs to run on, and I create multiple backups of stuff anyway : ) - I will eventually fill the 3 drive bays as well, but for now I'd like to start up the system with just the 1TB SSD in the PCIe slot.

How demanding would the power requirements for that GPU be? Would a 550W PSU cover it or should I go higher than that?

Reactions: spacejunk

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Thanks, I'll see if I can snag a 1650-s or 1660-s for under $200 on the best Black Friday deal I can find.

Not worried about the 10TB drive, it's only for data, not the OS or programs to run on, and I create multiple backups of stuff anyway : ) - I will eventually fill the 3 drive bays as well, but for now I'd like to start up the system with just the 1TB SSD in the PCIe slot.

How demanding would the power requirements for that GPU be? Would a 550W PSU cover it or should I go higher than that?

Sorry I missed that part that you already had the 10tb drive.

550watt would work, but I believe it's stretching it a little thin. It's a good idea to have a little headroom these days. If possible I would shoot for something around 650-750watts. This would at least allow for potential future upgrades or additions to the system. Also for the relative cost, it has more value as you can very likely recycle it into future builds.

logainofhades

Titan
You may be hard pressed, to beat this, for $900.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE BE Video Card ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Case: RIOTORO CR488 ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.17 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $898.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-23 14:54 EST-0500

TRENDING THREADS