[SOLVED] New Builds powers down and then starts up again... please help!!!

Aug 16, 2020
Hello everyone. I'm working on putting together a new pc. I'm dying to play Half-life Alyx.... Anywho, my new build keeps powering up and then dying again and I'm not sure why and it has no video output. I would really appreciate the help. I made a little video detailing the problem and showing which parts I put together, maybe someone can offer some advice or better yet knows what the problem is? Maybe it's because I don't have the case fans on it yet or because the power supply is only 500w and that's too weak for a B450M pro 4? idk. Oh, and please forgive me for filming with the camera the wrong way, it just feels better to hold it that way and I always forget to turn it sideways.
View: https://youtu.be/tJyH-wRU-i4

Solution
Welcome to the forums :D

this is the new builders checklist, it usually answers most little issues builders face.

do you have another PSU you could try with? first step in diagnosing is to ensure good power and the smarts are not the most reliable PSU available. double check with a known working unit and make sure its not a power issue. the 3600 does not have a GPU onboard and will need the GPU connected properly, see checklist, to give a video output, the ports on the motherboard are not working with that CPU, use the 580

there are only three fans required for a system to run, the PSU fan, the GPU fan when...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

this is the new builders checklist, it usually answers most little issues builders face.

do you have another PSU you could try with? first step in diagnosing is to ensure good power and the smarts are not the most reliable PSU available. double check with a known working unit and make sure its not a power issue. the 3600 does not have a GPU onboard and will need the GPU connected properly, see checklist, to give a video output, the ports on the motherboard are not working with that CPU, use the 580

there are only three fans required for a system to run, the PSU fan, the GPU fan when equipped, and the CPU fan, the case fans are optional and in no way will halt the boot process by not being connected.

Reactions: JoachimWest
Solution
Aug 16, 2020
I don't have another psu lying around but I could replace this one. Is it possible that 500w just isn't enough for this motherboard, cpu and graphcis card? I'm going to try taking out a stick of ram and taking out the graphics card and see if that helps. I guess that if it doesn't start shutting down again without the graphics card that it's probably the case that the power supply is just too weak.

Aug 16, 2020
I got it working!!! The fix was so easy and I feel so silly... Thank you for responding. The problem was that my ram wasn't fully seated. I pushed it a tiny bit down and it clicked in fully and worked. Neither of the sticks of ram were pushed in all the way. They were close to being fully seated but weren't pushed down enough for the clip to lock them in place. Thanks again for your response.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
500W should be plenty to boot the system, under load the 580 can draw 300W and under full load it might be an issue but booting and installing windows is not GPU heavy and will not push the limits.

cheers, enjoy the system mate, the forums are here if you need them.
👍