New Build's Video Display and Keyboard Not Working

robertw12

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Like others I have been stumped by a persistent problem where when powering up a newly assembled motherboard the fan turns on, but there is no video signal or keyboard activation (no lights).

I have experienced this problem with four other boards, one (1) Tyan, one (1) other version of the ASRock, the H81 Pro R2.0, and two (2) other version of the current motherboard (listed below). I should add, though I am an amatur I have built five other computers who did not have this problem and are all working fine. While I have had this problem with multiple build attempts I want to use my most current project to be the focus for any suggestions.

Current Build Specifications
1. Motherboard - ASRock H110 Pro BTC+ 13GPU Motherboard
2. CPU - Intel 7th Gen Celeron Processor
3. Ram - DDR4 2133 Hynix By A-Tech 8GB
4. SSD - Kingston Digital, Inc. 120GB SATA 3 2.5 Solid State Drive
5. Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W Power Supply
6. Use USB to connect keyboard and mouse (works fine with working computers)
7. Use adapter to convert DVI to VGA (NOTE: Unlikely a problem. I have assured connection and have had the same problem with other boards that did not require an adapter plus keyboard, which works separately, does not activate.)
8. Monitor (works fine with working computers)

Actions Taken To Resolve Problem
1. Tried multiple motherboards.
2. Switched out components with known working components ( RAM, power supplies, CPUs, cables)
3. Multiple efforts to assure seating of RAM and confirmation of placement per manual instructions including alternating single stick placement, then installing two stick of RAM in one board (total 16 GB)
4. Repeated confirmations of CPU install according to manual instructions.
5. Multiple of instances of removing CMOS battery, including leaving out over night.
6. Practice good static hygiene with motherboards on non-conducting surfaces.
7. Multiple efforts to assure correct and good connection to all components.
8. All components should be compatible.
9. Went through troubleshooting guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html
10. Work area is on carpet, but I have place rubber pads to stand on while working.

Question: Even if an incidental static charge were to develop in the board or one of the components, would it not equalize when the power supply is connected to ground/turned on?

I wish to state that I appreciate all of the comments/suggestion that have been posted to help others regarding this problem. Even if they did not lead to a solution for me, they gave me greater insight. Thank you for any further suggestions you might have.

Solution
You mention using H81 Pro, which uses DDR3 and completely different CPU, and getting same no signal problem. So, right now we can exclude CPU and RAM for sure as the cause. I suppose you don't build it in case, so that goes away too. PSU? Not likely, it powers on, so strike that. Right now I'm thinking about your monitor connection. This board has DVI-D port, so normal DVI to VGA adapter will not work, it would have to be active one - but don't know what GPU with what cables you used, so it may be wrong direction.
Looking at what you did, I see one thing you didn't - unplug SSD. Faulty SSD could prevent system boot. Other then that, it seems like you tested each other component so it makes a little sense. Perhaps one more thing - did you left additional mobo power (molex/sata) unplugged?

robertw12

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
I unplugged the SSD as you suggested but no change. I have read of this issue before which is the reason I had switched around the SSD along with other components. As to the other question I have two cables directly hooked into the mobo; the main power (28 pin) and to the cpu (8 pin).

Any DDR4 should do - as long as it's not Registered (the opposite are called unbuffered, sometimes abbreviated UDIMM). It is also better that it would be non-ECC, but this motherboard can also work with ECC sticks (though it won't use their functionality).

robertw12

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
I installed a stick of Pacific Sun DDR4 4GB PC-4 1700/2133 RAM. Lights for the keyboard and mouse now activate (a big step forward!!), but still no video signal. Beyond connecting the monitor directly to the card, just to see I installed a GPU card just to see if a video signal would come from there but again no luck. Any suggestions?

You mention using H81 Pro, which uses DDR3 and completely different CPU, and getting same no signal problem. So, right now we can exclude CPU and RAM for sure as the cause. I suppose you don't build it in case, so that goes away too. PSU? Not likely, it powers on, so strike that. Right now I'm thinking about your monitor connection. This board has DVI-D port, so normal DVI to VGA adapter will not work, it would have to be active one - but don't know what GPU with what cables you used, so it may be wrong direction.

Solution

robertw12

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Thank you for the suggestion. I too have suspected the adaptor but when looking for the right kind on Amazon I recall only passive kinds showing up. Then again, why look further if it seems to fit my need and I use other similar adapters successfully. In any case, I have an active adapter on order and will report back when I get the results, but I am definitely feeling hopeful. As to the H81 Pro board, thinking the problem was with the mobo I returned it so what the issues where with that build attempt is anyone's guess.

robertw12

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
DRagor, I wanted to let you know that the active DVI-D adapter worked. I am finally up and going. Thank you for help as I could not resolve the problem on my own. Do keep up the good work.

TRENDING THREADS