New Built Computer Fails to Get To BIOS Setup

callumeastlake

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
Hi there,

I have recently upgraded an existing custom built computer, the current specs are as follows:

Z170x Gaming Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram (2x 8GB)

Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080 OC

Core I5 6600k CPU

Corsair VS550 Watt PSU

Kingston 128GB SSD

1TB Hard Drive

3 Case Fans

Although I’m definitely no expert when it comes to PC building, I feel as though I know what I’m doing.

Essentially the issue is I turn on my computer, everything seems to run fine, all fans turn on including the CPU fan, the lighting on the motherboard turn on also showing that power is getting through to the motherboard. Only component that is difficult to tell is the GPU as it’s fans obviously don’t start until it is under stress. There is no input going into my monitors at all (I’ve tried running with both monitors plugged in and with just one and it’s the same result). After 15 seconds my pc turns off and then back on again and repeats the process.

I have doubled checked all connections into the Mother board and the GPU etc...

I have stripped out everything and tried to reinstall but the same issue occurs.

I have been through the steps on the booting forum thread and I’ll admit I have not went through every step on there, no it’s not because I’m lazy but my impression is the motherboard is shorting every time I turn it on and each time has a chance of frying a component. If I’m talking rubbish about that please tell me and I’m more than happy to perform the rest of the steps.

During the process I was sure to discharge myself of any static electricity and thermal paste has been applied to the cpu. My impression is either I have a faulty component or I’m being an idiot, hopefully the latter.

Any further questions please just ask.

Thanks for your time!

Solution

Sounds like deeper problem. Ok, let's hit it with heavy artillery. Remove all components except PSU, CPU and it's cooler. Btw, you didn't mention what cooler you used? I just hope you did not try to start it up without one :) Leave only 24-pin cable and 8-pin cable from PSU connected to motherboard, all other cables should be off. Start the board with screwdriver method, and pray it won't...
Don't worry about shorting - if you had one, you would see it already :)
What model of motherboard exactly you have, Gigabyte has several Z170x?
First step, check your connections, esp CPU power cable, and drives cables. Next step, remove GPU and connect monitor to motherboard, and try to boot.

Sounds like deeper problem. Ok, let's hit it with heavy artillery. Remove all components except PSU, CPU and it's cooler. Btw, you didn't mention what cooler you used? I just hope you did not try to start it up without one :) Leave only 24-pin cable and 8-pin cable from PSU connected to motherboard, all other cables should be off. Start the board with screwdriver method, and pray it won't reboot this time.

Solution
This happened to me before. Essentially what had happened was that the CPU pins on the motherboard has bent, and it did not boot and would only reboot constantly. Check only with the PSU, CPU and it's cooler, then, if the PC still does not boot up , it more than likely is the CPU pins on the motherboard that is bent.