[SOLVED] New built PC restarting for no reason (CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION) Any ideas?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daniel Gough

Honorable
May 8, 2015
I built a PC for my mate 3 days ago this is the 4th PC I've built it has been running fine until today. Today it's restarted it's self twice. this is this message he's getting any ideas pleas help.

Thanks

Solution
The ram he has got is Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 3200mhz this shouldn't be the problem should it? iv'e also turned on XMP in his bios but that shouldn't be causing this problem? He has got the latest version of windows 10 home version 2004 it says. And i downloaded the AMD chip-set driver's from Gigabytes website. But ill get him to download it from AMDs website now. And the bios has never been flashed or updated as he doesn't have a USB :rolleyes: i may tell him he needs to go and buy one. And nope as fair as im aware every time it blue screens he gets the same message (CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION) then it goes to 100 percent the the PC Resets itself. it seems really odd it only happens on Call of duty War zone the only other...

Daniel Gough

Honorable
May 8, 2015
Can't make any assumptions that something shouldn't, better be safe than sorry and disable XMP.

MemTest86 can also be run from a CD, it comes down to that you need something from which it can boot.
Thanks for the help he's found a USB and will he running memtest a bit later on today is there any settings I need to get him to change on memtest or are all the default settings good enough?

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
The ram he has got is Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 3200mhz this shouldn't be the problem should it? iv'e also turned on XMP in his bios but that shouldn't be causing this problem? He has got the latest version of windows 10 home version 2004 it says. And i downloaded the AMD chip-set driver's from Gigabytes website. But ill get him to download it from AMDs website now. And the bios has never been flashed or updated as he doesn't have a USB :rolleyes: i may tell him he needs to go and buy one. And nope as fair as im aware every time it blue screens he gets the same message (CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION) then it goes to 100 percent the the PC Resets itself. it seems really odd it only happens on Call of duty War zone the only other game he has ATM is black ops 3 but it has never happens on that sometimes the game fezzes and then just closes but most the time it just blue screens and he gets that error sometimes he can play it for 1-2 hours or so without it crashing but sometimes it does it within the first 5 minutes of the game being open. it's even happens once just being on the menu.
I would suggest that you turn off XMP and see if that changes anything. If it doesn't then you will need to reflash the bios to a final version that does not have a letter at the end of the bios file. If the ram modules are not a matched set, you will also have problems.

Solution

Daniel Gough

Honorable
May 8, 2015
That can happen if secure boot is enabled in the UEFI, also check that fast startup is disabled as that may also cause issues with booting to memtest86.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
Only ill get him to give that ago tomorrow thank you! But i think we have fixed the problem tbf i got him to disable XMP and so far it's been fine today since he did that.But i don't understand why having XMP on would cause the problem? if having XMP on is the problem how can he get his ram to run at the correct speed without XMP? He will have to overclock it Manuel won't he? Do you think having XMP on may of made his ram sticks get to hot because his case doesn't have the best air flow?

RAM, like the CPU, has been tested to run safely within a range of MHz or GHz.

If you check the specifications of the model (link below), you can see the SPD speed and the tested speed. The SPD, or Serial Presence Detect, will kick in when there's nothing else configured that tells the RAM at what speed it should operate, basically the base speed. XMP allows for upping the performance of the RAM up to a certain limit, in this case that's 3200. 3200MHz is the tested max speed at which it has been tested to operate properly assuming no problem will occur.
https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categ...EANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3200C16#tab-tech-specs

What is the case and how hot does the hardware get under normal circumstances?

Daniel Gough

Honorable
May 8, 2015
RAM, like the CPU, has been tested to run safely within a range of MHz or GHz.

If you check the specifications of the model (link below), you can see the SPD speed and the tested speed. The SPD, or Serial Presence Detect, will kick in when there's nothing else configured that tells the RAM at what speed it should operate, basically the base speed. XMP allows for upping the performance of the RAM up to a certain limit, in this case that's 3200. 3200MHz is the tested max speed at which it has been tested to operate properly assuming no problem will occur.
https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categ...EANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3200C16#tab-tech-specs

What is the case and how hot does the hardware get under normal circumstances?
i see! So do you think his ram is fine then! As it not crashing without XMP on. So there is no point of trying to get memtest86 to run now is there? And do you think a bios update or Manuel overclocking the ram to the 3200mhz would fix the problem
As far as temps go his GPU is between 70-78 and his CPU is between 78-85 while playing Warzone the stock Ryzen wraith stealth cooler isn't that good so i think these temps are normally. Not sure how to check ram temp not even sure is that a thing.
here is a picture of his PC so you can get a idea of airflow https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lb6L43moNfGCrPDtFs17dg4e0UKIGChX/view?usp=sharing His case is cit seven. Also i've just noticed on the gigabyte website on his motherboard page it has the memory speed it supports https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/B450M-H-rev-10/sp#sp
it says (Support for DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/2933/2667/2400/2133 MHz memory modules) but doesn't say anything about 3200hmz could this be the problem??

Last edited:
XMP is there to make it easier for users to overclock the RAM for a reason. I don't know anything about overclocking, but since XMP is there for a reason I can imagine that manual overclocking RAM would be a challenge. You would likely see tons of crashes before you get to the speed of overclock you like that's actually stable.

Since there are typically a few choices in XMP settings, try an XMP profile that's supported by both the motherboard and CPU.

Daniel Gough

Honorable
May 8, 2015
XMP is there to make it easier for users to overclock the RAM for a reason. I don't know anything about overclocking, but since XMP is there for a reason I can imagine that manual overclocking RAM would be a challenge. You would likely see tons of crashes before you get to the speed of overclock you like that's actually stable.

Since there are typically a few choices in XMP settings, try an XMP profile that's supported by both the motherboard and CPU.
okay thanks for the help