New Built PC won't turn on

Guayaco36

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I just installed an AMD Phenom II X2 940 but the computer won't turn on. I also have 6GB of ram installed PC8500 and ATI X1650Pro PCIe card. PSU is 500W but nothing....comes up. I tried just booting with only one ram and nothing what can it be wrong help......
Motherboard is a Foxconn A79A-S.

There are no beeps or sounds at all just that blue spark next to my video card. I installed a less power consumption card too but didn't help. I changed the card to another pcie slot and same blue spark.

Note: I did add to much thermal paste, almost an entire packet to the heat sink. could that be it? is my CPU dead? is my PSU dead? is my motherboard fried? Please help....anyone with any advice will be greatly appreciated.

check the video of the blue spark at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDgofzsrmZA

sassan

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
You emptied an entire thermal paste on your heat sink?

Follow the instruction you shouldn't use all of it as it will act as an insulator. Don't worry as you haven't done any harm to your pc.

Also make sure that you mounted the motherboard into your case the correct way and make sure that the screws are not over tightened.

Make sure that the Motherboard pins are connected through your PSU. Usually an 8 Pin or a 24 Pin or both needed to be plugged into your pc.

Make sure that the motherboard speaker is plugged in as well, if you don't hear anything I think that means your ram is faulty.

What I would do is disconnect your Drives (hard drives/dvd drives) and then try it without the video card. Start by one part at a time and see what happens.

Try to move the ram around in different slots.

Also read up on resetting your jumper and taking the CMOS battery out as well, that usually fixes things.

Best of luck

Guayaco36

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Yes I put the entire little thing to the heat sink, can that be the problem? I have tried just with one ram and nothing. I took out the graphics card and nothing. No sound (didn't have speakers connected). I will try clearing the CMOS tonight. I was thinking PSU but I tried it on another PC and it works so I don't think is that. Should I clean the cpu and heat sink and apply a little thermal. ?

sassan

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Yes clean it up with lint free cloth and you can use Alcohol 99% preferred.

Make sure you dont touch it with your fingers as it will leave fingerprints and might cause some heat issues.

Make sure to use little and there are diffrent methods for diffrent cpu's personally I havent tried the AMD Phenom II X2 940 but check out arctic silver 5's method for that. http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/Ins_as5_amd_quad_wcap.pdf This might help out