New Built Rig doesn't show Windows in BIOS, Constant Freezing.

Oct 24, 2018
Hey Everyone,

I have gone insane with this problem. I build a new computer back in April, everything seemed fine as expected. A few months down the road I ran into some freezing issues and thought, "Okay this is weird and I can manage." Sometime later, the problem became worse and worse. To the point whenever I start my PC, the computer doesn't recognize windows 10 initially (Won't boot automatically). I have to go into the BIOS, Reset the computer, Go back into the BIOS, and then Windows becomes a boot option. My Macbook Pro from 2012 starts up faster. Programs frequently say "Not Responding". The programs used to work themselves out after some time but now everything freezes for 10 mins.

I've tried a CMOS reset. I am new to managing a newly built computer so I need some help identifying the issue and points of attack. Thank you for your patience and help.

(If you need visuals, I have photos)

(There are 3 boot options: Windows, DRW-21ST, and one other. Sometimes it will display everything but windows or just DRW as a boot option)

SPECS:
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX
Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Power Supply
GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Z370P D3 Motherboard
Intel Core i5
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer SATA Drive
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 2.4Ghz/5GHz 450Mbps Dual Band Wi-Fi
Windows 10 OEM

Welcome to Tom's!

What devices do you have for storage? Is Windows installed to a SSD or HDD?
At any rate, I suspect you are having issues with your boot device.

Oct 24, 2018

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I have a CD/DVD STATA drive. Could it really be my boot device if the computer keeps freezing and programs frequently say "Not Responding"?

There are several possibilities here. Depending on how much ram you have installed, it could be that the page file(also known as a swapfile) on your boot drive, particularly if it is a failing SSD, could cause corruption of whatever you have in the page file. Also, I notice your PSU is not known as a "good" PSU, and if it is not supplying clean power, that could be causing issues. According to this:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
your PSU is in tier 7, worst of the worst! I would recomment replacing it ASAP, regardless of any other issues. It really is a safety concern!
Complete specs of your system could help us rule out other possibilities.

Oct 24, 2018

Thank you very much so far! I am looking at getting a Silverstone - Strider Gold S 750W PSU. What other specs are you looking for? How can I access the Swapfile or find a resource that helps me identify if that's the issue?

Here is a tutorial on the swap or page file:
https://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-explains-what-is-the-windows-page-file-and-should-you-disable-it/

To see how it is set up on your computer, go to Control Panel, system and Security, System properties, Advanced System Settings, Performance, Settings,Performance Options, Advanced, Virtual Memory,change.
This will get you to a list of your disk volumes, and whether or not there is a paging file on them.
DO NOT make any changes at this time, just report what your system is using, then cancel out of the boxes.

Oct 24, 2018

I went into control panel and advanced system settings. There was nothing there. So I am more than confused with this area.

Even worse, I cannot get my computer to boot anything at all now. No windows, no boot options. The computer will post, but I cannot get to the homepage of windows, let alone my login.

Can you get into the BIOS?

Oct 24, 2018

Yes, what's next?

Oct 24, 2018
BUMP

Over the last month I have taken apart and put together the computer, CMOS reset, and reinstalled windows.

Still extremely slow start up, applications lag out or say "not responding", slow to take post keyboard inputs... etc.

Freezes tend to be memory related. Is your ram listed in the QVL for your motherboard, or does the Geil website say that your specific ram will work in your specific motherboard? That being said, have you done anything with your PSU situation? You would be surprised how many issues disappear when you get a good quality, stable PSU.

TRENDING THREADS