New built system wont recognize hard drive'

howard22

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Ok, this is my first time building a computer. The only thing i kept from my old gateway was my CD rom and my Hard drive. My hard drive already had Win7 on it. But when i transfered everything over to my new case my hard drive is NON-EXISTENT. And by that I mean even BIOS does not detect it. Everything is installed properly(had help). Everything works fine but when it boots up it says there is no boot device or whatever.

So i put in my win7 install disc, and everything goes smoothly, but when it gets to the screen to pick your hard drive to install it, its not there. I have the hard drive installed properly this i know for sure. Ive double checked my cable to make sure its snapped in. My mobo has 6 SATA slots, tried em all. Ive tried so many things I don't know what to do. Im at the point where im gonna buy a new hard drive and see if its a hardware failure. At least if i do that i will know for sure. Ive read somewhere about installing the drivers during win7 install but i dont know how to do that or if it is that.

here is my motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138168&cm_re=biostar_motherboard-_-13-138-168-_-Product

Ive messed around a little in BIOS but still nothing. If its hardware failure then fine so be it I can get a new one. But if I purchase a new one and still nothing then I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me with this?

howard22

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Yes. I have it enabled. And im sure the power supply cable is connected to it. But when i go into bios the SATA1-6 (my mobo has 6) it says Not detected on all of them no matter which one i plug it into. Like i said anything involving plugging it in/installing etc ive done and triple checked. Im new to ******* with bios so if you have any specific suggestions tho I will try, but i have looked around at everything and i dont see why anything should be different as this is a brand new board, so shouldnt things be set up already?

Well, I'll just run the list here.
Drive plugged into the #1 port. (check your manual, it will tell you)

SATA ports enabled. AHCI mode turned on. (Again, check your manual)

There is primary boot order that sets for the optical, network, hard drive, other boot devices etc.
But there is also a secondary boot setting for your hard drives. You must actually select the Hard drive, or drives you want to be bootable in a sub menu under the boot order hard drive setting. Because SATA drives have no master or slave settings, you must actually select the drive you want to be bootable under the "Hard Disk Drive" setting in the boot order.

With modern SATA controllers, you can actually have multiple hard drives, with different OS's on them. If you have 2 hard drives selected as bootable, then you will get an option when you boot that will allow you to choose which one you want to boot too.
Normally a single drive should pretty much default for all of this, but since you are having issues, you should check all of this.

howard22

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Hardware failure or incompatibility. I bought a new hard drive and it was detected. I am currently typing this out on my first home built computer. Thanks all for your help. Issue solved.

girardmike

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I'm actually have the same problem this user was having. However, my HD is not being recognized in BIOS but is on the Boot Directory.

I've selected the HD as the bootable device and I have my SATA ports confirgured to AHCI. I was able to begin the loading process for Windows 7 but arrived at the same road blocl.

I am at an absolutely loss as to where to continue. I've tried two new HD's and this does not seem to solve the problem. Any further guidance would be appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS