new built won't start up

buckeye286

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Hello guys, I am building my first gaming computer so I apologize in advance if Im a noob. But I got done building my computer and I think I wired everything correctly. But when I connected everything to power there was a red light on my motherboard and then I tried to turn on my new built computer, my apartment breaker tripped. So I went and fixed the breaker and now when I plug in my new built there is no light or anything and It won't start up or do anything. Please guys help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks alot in advance to anyone who responds to this.

buckeye286

Reputable
May 1, 2014

does that mean all my computer parts are worthless now? What should be my next move, any recommendations?

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013

I wouldn't be so pessimistic about it.

If you have somehow managed to plug the wrong cable into the wrong socket/plug when you've been building your PC (I don't even know how could this happen) and now you get no power at all in the PC then most probably the PSU fuse has blown up to prevent further damage. The other reason for this to happen is if your PSU wasn't powerful enough to give enough juice to your system. Maybe you could tell us what are your system specs including the PSU.

Also (not sure how it is in other countries) but if you are in the UK most (if not all) power cables come with a fuse too so this is another thing to check.
uk_fuse.jpg

If your PSU is powerful enough to power up your PC then try changing the fuses I told you about (either in power cable or PSU); but before changing the fuses go through your MotherBoard user manual and double check you have plugged everything where it should be plugged to avoid future mishaps.

buckeye286

Reputable
May 1, 2014

My computer specs:
Case: Phantom 410
CPU: Intel I7 haswell
Motherboard: Asus z87 pro
video card: EVGA GTX 770
power supply: corsair RM750 watts
memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb 2400 mgh
CPU cooler: Corsair H100i

Please guys help me. Im freaking out hopefully I didn't waste $1500.
btw I live in USA

buckeye286

Reputable
May 1, 2014

My computer specs:
Case: Phantom 410
CPU: Intel I7 haswell
Motherboard: Asus z87 pro
video card: EVGA GTX 770
power supply: corsair RM750 watts
memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb 2400 mgh
CPU cooler: Corsair H100i

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hm... now that you mentioned your CPU cooler - why did you go for a water cooler for your first build?

There are chances you got a leak from it and this could really messed things up. At this point I could only suggest you take your PC apart starting with removing the cooler and checking for leaks. Then test all parts 1 by 1 in another PC if you can.

buckeye286

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Well I have been thinking abt gaming on PC for a while and I was thinking abt experimenting with over clocking and thats why I chose Corsair H100i and I have checked and I don't notice any leaks or anything. btw do you think it would have fried all my components? I went and exchanged my motherboard but still no lights or anything and still doesn't start up.

vijenderrinku

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
first of all, unplug the all connection form motherboard and other parts
After give Supply to PSU, and then take ATX connector, their is Green wire, and Black wire after identification, short it (means take wire and connect both wire with the help of other wire) if the PSU fan rotating i.e. PSU is OK.
If not working, change the Power Cable. and again check.

after check told, what is status

buckeye286

Reputable
May 1, 2014

After my breaker tripped I took the whole system to another room and there was no light or any response from it :( but I just don't understand why did the breaker trip?

buckeye286

Reputable
May 1, 2014

I have the corsair RM750 and all the cables are black :( plus I ordered a replacement for PSU from amazon and it should be here friday? do you think the breaker tripping could have fried all my computer parts? thanks for your help.

It sounds like your power supply cable was earthing out on something. If it was the input side, then your components should be OK. Or maybe you had a power supply with a short in it. If it was me, I'd unplug the pc and inspect it - especially around the power supply. Use you nose to smell out anything burnt. Tell us if you find anything.