New camera or new lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyalife

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
Best answers
Hi!
I currently have a Canon 1200d. I have it for a couple of years and I only have one lens (the stock 18-55mm lens).

Now I think it is time for an upgrade. I can spend up to 600€-700€ but I'm not sure if I should spend it on a new camera or new lens.
I've never experienced any other lens so I don't know how much it affects the image quality.

I think I am an intermediate level photographer and I normally take photos of buildings/monuments, landscapes and portraits.

I hope that I was clear enough for you to help me.
Thank you!

Solandri

Glorious
Jan 4, 2012
Best answers

Normally, I'd agree with the recommendations kanewolf gave. However, for these use cases, get the 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. (The f/1.4 costs considerably more, but is built better and has silent focusing with full time manual focus - you can touch up the focus manually even when it's in autofocus mode).

Landscape and buildings/monuments are easily handled by your 18-55mm lens. The 50mm will give you low-light capability and the wide aperture will allow you to blur backgrounds for portraits. An 85mm f/1.8 or 100mm f/2 (or a 70-200 at 200mm) would be better for portraits, but the 50mm will be a good stepping stone while you're still feeling out what type of photos you like to take. The 1200D has a 1.6x multiplier (actually 1.66x), so the 50mm is equivalent to a 83mm, which is the very short end of a "true" portrait lens.

I would go for a 50-150 or 70-200 only if you find yourself frequently wishing you could zoom more or cropping the photos you shoot at 55mm on the 18-55mm. Telephotos really stress the optics (it's enlarging everything in the picture), so if you find yourself seriously shooting photos which need a telephoto, I'd recommend saving up for a 70-200L f/4 (IS or non-IS). It's a $1000 lens, but a fantastic lens.

Likewise, the 1200D looks like it was released relatively recently (5 years ago). Don't bother upgrading it unless you're finding yourself limited by its capabilities. The higher-end bodies usually add more focus points, better resolution and/or low-light capability, more control wheels, and more custom functions. Unless you're aching to have one of those, there's no need to upgrade bodies. It will just become obsolete in another 7-10 years.

And when you do move to two main lenses, you'll find yourself wishing you had two bodies to cut down on the number of lens swaps. It got so bad I now use a Panasonic four-thirds for my wide-angle shooting, while I tote along my 70-200L f/2.8 IS for telephoto shots.

kanewolf

Titan
May 29, 2013
Best answers
Normally, I'd agree with the recommendations kanewolf gave. However, for these use cases, get the 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. (The f/1.4 costs considerably more, but is built better and has silent focusing with full time manual focus - you can touch up the focus manually even when it's in autofocus mode).
What do you mean? You DID agree :) I also would go with a f 2.8 on the 50-150 or 70-200. But those do get very pricey.

One thing the OP didn't address, especially for portraits is flash. Get the Canon speedlight and a good diffuser. Then learn what bounce and fill flash are.

Solandri

Glorious
Jan 4, 2012
Best answers

I meant hold off on the telephoto until he's sure he actually needs it for the type of photography he does. Telephotos get a lot pricier than the wide and normal lenses and zooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS