New Canon Printers

davy

I noticed Canon Japan web site
http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/ip4100/
has a new range of printers looking through their list I can not see a
IP5100 to replace the IP5000. it seems that they have dropped their
1pl print heads from the ranges mentioned which seems a little odd,
as one would have expected the 1pl heads be used in the newer
high-end range of printers, wonder why this is..?

Davy wrote:
> I noticed Canon Japan web site
> http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/ip4100/
> has a new range of printers looking through their list I can not see a
> IP5100 to replace the IP5000. it seems that they have dropped their
> 1pl print heads from the ranges mentioned which seems a little odd,
> as one would have expected the 1pl heads be used in the newer
> high-end range of printers, wonder why this is..?

I love my iP5000. The output is a step beyond what my earlier i860
(today's iP4000) can do. Sure the output takes longer at 9600 dpi, but
the difference is well worth the wait. Graininess is virtually
eliminated. I run it on a combination of compatible (BCI-6) and bulk
BCI-3e) inks.

I'd hate to go down a level to an iP4100 - unless this new line finally
included the missing CD/DVD print capability.

-Taliesyn

Davy wrote:

>I noticed Canon Japan web site
>http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/ip4100/
>has a new range of printers looking through their list I can not see a
>IP5100 to replace the IP5000. it seems that they have dropped their
>1pl print heads from the ranges mentioned which seems a little odd,
>as one would have expected the 1pl heads be used in the newer
>high-end range of printers, wonder why this is..?

My concern is that they may clog but I have not heard of that happening
so it is anyones guess.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> Davy wrote:
>
>> I noticed Canon Japan web site http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/ip4100/
>> has a new range of printers looking through their list I can not see a
>> IP5100 to replace the IP5000. it seems that they have dropped their
>> 1pl print heads from the ranges mentioned which seems a little odd,
>> as one would have expected the 1pl heads be used in the newer
>> high-end range of printers, wonder why this is..?
>>

> My concern is that they may clog but I have not heard of that happening
> so it is anyones guess.

With today’s technology the size of the print heads is rather irrelevant
concerning clogging. What really matters is how it is technically
implemented and how the ink is prepared for and delivered.
You're really an uninformed amateur aren't you?
Get lost.
Frank

davy

I understand what Taliesyn is saying and you have gotta agree that a
finer nozzle will produce a better resolution, vertical resolution
to be exact - no problem there, and you gotta agree it will take
slightly longer to print but with finer detail producing a better
picture.

I simply was curious as to why the finer 1pl head was not used in the
latest models on Canon Japan site since they do produce a 'grainfree
picture'.

Its gotta be noted from various sites that clogging DOES NOT seem to
be a issue with the Pixma range compared to other printers, Epson
seems to be more notorious for this - just look and observe and you
will see what I mean.

I find it hard to find any complaints with clogging on the IP5000's
but why have they been dropped, I would imagine a printer
manufacturer would 'bloat' about the 1pl print head like Epson
about their Peizo heads

When it comes to buying printers its NOT the review's that I take note
of.

Davy

> I find it hard to find any complaints with clogging on the IP5000's
> but why have they been dropped, I would imagine a printer
> manufacturer would 'bloat' about the 1pl print head like Epson
> about their Peizo heads

It could be commercial reasons. The main selling point of the ip5000 over
the ip4000 was the 1pl. Perhaps it didn't sell as they'd hoped.
I have the IP5000 and I am blown away by it. Photo quality is better than
the ip4000 and no clogging to report.

--
Patrick

Taliesyn wrote:

> Davy wrote:
>
>> I noticed Canon Japan web site http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/ip4100/
>> has a new range of printers looking through their list I can not see a
>> IP5100 to replace the IP5000. it seems that they have dropped their
>> 1pl print heads from the ranges mentioned which seems a little odd,
>> as one would have expected the 1pl heads be used in the newer
>> high-end range of printers, wonder why this is..?
>>

> I love my iP5000. The output is a step beyond what my earlier i860
> (today's iP4000) can do.

According to reviews at PC Mag, the IP5000 is many steps ahead of the
IP4000 in business document printing and a small step behind in the
printing of photos. It is still rated very high and is a giant leap
ahead of the Epson R300 series.

> Sure the output takes longer at 9600 dpi, but
> the difference is well worth the wait. Graininess

occurs in film photos not in digital photos. Digital photos has noise
that are similar looking artifacts.

> is virtually
> eliminated. I run it on a combination of compatible (BCI-6) and bulk
> BCI-3e) inks.
>
> I'd hate to go down a level to an iP4100 - unless this new line finally
> included the missing CD/DVD print capability.

Maybe the IP4100 is the Japanese version of the IP4000.

measekite wrote:

> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> Davy wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed Canon Japan web site http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/ip4100/
>>> has a new range of printers looking through their list I can not see a
>>> IP5100 to replace the IP5000. it seems that they have dropped their
>>> 1pl print heads from the ranges mentioned which seems a little odd,
>>> as one would have expected the 1pl heads be used in the newer
>>> high-end range of printers, wonder why this is..?
>>>

>> I love my iP5000. The output is a step beyond what my earlier i860
>> (today's iP4000) can do.
>

> According to reviews at PC Mag, the IP5000 is many steps ahead of the
> IP4000 in business document printing and a small step behind in the
> printing of photos.

Bullshit limited reviews done by hacks with no built-in eyes.

>> Sure the output takes longer at 9600 dpi, but
>> the difference is well worth the wait. Graininess
>
> occurs in film photos not in digital photos. Digital photos has noise
> that are similar looking artifacts.

I'm printing with inkjet dots. And in the inkjet printing industry
graininess is the term used to describe how visible the ink jet dots are
that comprise the picture. The less visible grain (dots) the better the
printer and the picture or graphic. The use of the word "graininess"
may not suit your fancy but it is used by everyone but you. Then again,
I'm not surprised. Graininess is negligible with the iP5000 compared to
my i860 or your iP4000, which use the exact same printhead.

-Taliesyn

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> According to reviews at PC Mag, the IP5000 is many steps ahead of the
> IP4000 in business document printing and a small step behind in the
> printing of photos. It is still rated very high and is a giant leap
> ahead of the Epson R300 series.

Idiot! Is that all you can quote...one article. Only a half wit moron
would keep posting the same diatribe day after day.
Get lost.
Frank

Davy wrote:

>I understand what Taliesyn is saying and you have gotta agree that a
>finer nozzle will produce a better resolution, vertical resolution
>to be exact - no problem there, and you gotta agree it will take
>slightly longer to print but with finer detail producing a better
>picture.
>
>I simply was curious as to why the finer 1pl head was not used in the
>latest models on Canon Japan site since they do produce a 'grainfree
>picture'.
>
>Its gotta be noted from various sites that clogging DOES NOT seem to
>be a issue with the Pixma range compared to other printers, Epson
>seems to be more notorious for this - just look and observe and you
>will see what I mean.

And Epson printers guzzle ink to keep the problem at a minimum.

>I find it hard to find any complaints with clogging on the IP5000's
>but why have they been dropped,

Has it really been dropped or were they ever offered in the Japanese
market. My understanding of the IP5000 is that the 1pl droplet size is
used in business documents not photos but I may be misinformed.

>I would imagine a printer
>manufacturer would 'bloat' about the 1pl print head like Epson
>about their Peizo heads
>
>When it comes to buying printers its NOT the review's that I take note
>of.
>
>Davy

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> Has it really been dropped or were they ever offered in the Japanese
> market. My understanding of the IP5000 is that the 1pl droplet size is
> used in business documents not photos but I may be misinformed.

Only a penciled neck geek or a New Orleans pimp would be dumb enough to
actually think that 1pl droplet would be better for docs and not for images.
You are misinformed, misguided but not missed.
Get a life.
Frank

Taliesyn wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Taliesyn wrote:

>>> I love my iP5000. The output is a step beyond what my earlier i860
>>> (today's iP4000) can do.
>>

>> According to reviews at PC Mag, the IP5000 is many steps ahead of the
>> IP4000 in business document printing and a small step behind in the
>> printing of photos.
>

> Bullshit limited reviews done by hacks with no built-in eyes.

Maybe but I am curious why they said what they said. We know they were
correct about the speed.

>>> Sure the output takes longer at 9600 dpi, but
>>> the difference is well worth the wait. Graininess
>>

>> occurs in film photos not in digital photos. Digital photos has
>> noise that are similar looking artifacts.
>

> I'm printing with inkjet dots. And in the inkjet printing industry
> graininess is the term used to describe how visible the ink jet dots are
> that comprise the picture. The less visible grain (dots) the better the
> printer and the picture or graphic. The use of the word "graininess"
> may not suit your fancy but it is used by everyone but you.

And the entire Photographic Industry. Remember that the photo industry
is over 100 years old. The inkjet industry is 10 yearts old and the
photo inkjet industry is really about 5 years old.

> Then again,
> I'm not surprised. Graininess is negligible with the iP5000 compared to
> my i860 or your iP4000, which use the exact same printhead.

So when do you think the 1pl droplet size happens?

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> According to reviews at PC Mag, the IP5000 is many steps ahead of the
>> IP4000 in business document printing and a small step behind in the
>> printing of photos. It is still rated very high and is a giant leap
>> ahead of the Epson R300 series.
>

> Idiot! Is that all you can quote...one article. Only a half wit moron
> would keep posting the same diatribe day after day.
> Get lost.
> Frank

Since you are a shmuck you must alway be talking from inside a pussey.
I guess that is why everything you say is fishy.

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Has it really been dropped or were they ever offered in the Japanese
>> market. My understanding of the IP5000 is that the 1pl droplet size
>> is used in business documents not photos but I may be misinformed.
>>

> Only a penciled neck geek or a New Orleans pimp would be dumb enough
> to actually think that 1pl droplet would be better for docs and not
> for images.
> You are misinformed, misguided but not missed.
> Get a life.

> Frank

And does Frankie Crankie know his ass from a hole in the ground.

davy

Taliesyn wrote:

> According to reviews at PC Mag, the IP5000 is many steps ahead of
the
> IP4000 in business document printing and a small step behind in the

> printing of photos. It is still rated very high and is a giant leap

> ahead of the Epson R300 series.
>

> Davy say's
> Yo... hang on lets read the review proper eh. PC mags reveiw say's
the IP5000 is one step behind in photo quality and yet better at
graphics and pastels. Why is this?, its because he aint got it set at
the best photo setting!
> The clue, is the time he said it took to
print the picture, if it was on the best setting the time would be a
little longer than given ........another good
reason why I take no notice of reveiws.........!

> > I love my iP5000. The output is a step beyond what my earlier i860
> > (today's iP4000) can do.
>

> According to reviews at PC Mag, the IP5000 is many steps ahead of the
> IP4000 in business document printing and a small step behind in the
> printing of photos. It is still rated very high and is a giant leap
> ahead of the Epson R300 series.

That is the only review that claims this (unless you can point me to
another). Every other review states the 1pl really does make a difference.
Comparing output from my IP5000 with my friends IP4000 we both agree the
IP5000 is well ahead.

--
Patrick

Patrick wrote:

>>>I love my iP5000. The output is a step beyond what my earlier i860
>>>(today's iP4000) can do.
>>>

>>According to reviews at PC Mag, the IP5000 is many steps ahead of the
>>IP4000 in business document printing and a small step behind in the
>>printing of photos. It is still rated very high and is a giant leap
>>ahead of the Epson R300 series.
>>

>That is the only review that claims this (unless you can point me to
>another). Every other review states the 1pl really does make a difference.
>Comparing output from my IP5000 with my friends IP4000 we both agree the
>IP5000 is well ahead.

Did you use the exact same photo file and set the printer preferences
the same way?

I too was surprised when I read the PC Mag review and wondered how they
came to that conclusion.

measekite wrote:

>>> According to reviews at PC Mag, the IP5000 is many steps ahead of the
>>> IP4000 in business document printing and a small step behind in the
>>> printing of photos. It is still rated very high and is a giant leap
>>> ahead of the Epson R300 series.
>>>

>> That is the only review that claims this (unless you can point me to
>> another). Every other review states the 1pl really does make a
>> difference.
>> Comparing output from my IP5000 with my friends IP4000 we both agree the
>> IP5000 is well ahead.
>>

> Did you use the exact same photo file and set the printer preferences
> the same way?
>
> I too was surprised when I read the PC Mag review and wondered how they
> came to that conclusion.

Then stop quoting them because you look absolutely foolish repeating
something you've had no part in.

-Taliesyn

measekite wrote:

> Taliesyn wrote:
>>>
>>> According to reviews at PC Mag, the IP5000 is many steps ahead of the
>>> IP4000 in business document printing and a small step behind in the
>>> printing of photos.
>>

>> Bullshit limited reviews done by hacks with no built-in eyes.
>

> Maybe but I am curious why they said what they said. We know they were
> correct about the speed.

And that is elementary logic, my dear "Watson", because a photo at the
iP5000's maximum dpi of 9600 will take longer to print than a photo at
iP4000's maximum dpi of 4800. Higher resolution ALWAYS takes more time.
The difference between my iP5000 and my i860 is about a minute, and it's
worth the wait.

>> I'm printing with inkjet dots. And in the inkjet printing industry
>> graininess is the term used to describe how visible the ink jet dots are
>> that comprise the picture. The less visible grain (dots) the better the
>> printer and the picture or graphic. The use of the word "graininess"
>> may not suit your fancy but it is used by everyone but you.
>

> And the entire Photographic Industry. Remember that the photo industry
> is over 100 years old. The inkjet industry is 10 yearts old and the
> photo inkjet industry is really about 5 years old.

How do you figure 5 years, there were inkjets long before that. I had my
first inkjet, an Epson 500 back in 1995. That's 10 right there, and I
know they existed much before that. And if they existed it's an "industry".

Anyway, stop changing the subject, it's not about "sacred" history.

Straight from the makers of our printers (Canon):

"When printing using the inkjet method, large ink droplets may
appear as graininess when they hit the paper. Thoroughly removing this
graininess results in smoother, more natural-looking images."
____

That's all I'm trying to tell you about graininess.

>> Then again,
>> I'm not surprised. Graininess is negligible with the iP5000 compared to
>> my i860 or your iP4000, which use the exact same printhead.
>

> So when do you think the 1pl droplet size happens?

I don't know, suffice to say it definitely appears at highest resolution
settings. If it also occurs at the lower range, so be it. I haven't run
tests at lower ranges as I don't see why anyone would need to know this
insignificant detail.

-Taliesyn

> >That is the only review that claims this (unless you can point me to
> >another). Every other review states the 1pl really does make a
difference.
> >Comparing output from my IP5000 with my friends IP4000 we both agree the
> >IP5000 is well ahead.
> >

> Did you use the exact same photo file and set the printer preferences
> the same way?

Same image, same paper, default driver settings.

Do you know of any other reviews claiming this?

Patrick wrote:

>>>That is the only review that claims this (unless you can point me to
>>>another). Every other review states the 1pl really does make a
>>>

>difference.
>

>>>Comparing output from my IP5000 with my friends IP4000 we both agree the
>>>IP5000 is well ahead.
>>>

>>Did you use the exact same photo file and set the printer preferences
>>the same way?
>>

>Same image, same paper, default driver settings.
>
>Do you know of any other reviews claiming this?

It is difficult to find truly comparative review setting one printer
head to head with another. I think that many magazines do not want to
bite the hand that feeds them to hard.

Taliesyn wrote:

> measekite wrote:

>>> That is the only review that claims this (unless you can point me to
>>> another). Every other review states the 1pl really does make a
>>> difference.
>>> Comparing output from my IP5000 with my friends IP4000 we both agree
>>> the
>>> IP5000 is well ahead.
>>>

>> Did you use the exact same photo file and set the printer preferences
>> the same way?
>>
>> I too was surprised when I read the PC Mag review and wondered how
>> they came to that conclusion.
>>

> Then stop quoting them because you look absolutely foolish repeating
> something you've had no part in.
>
> -Taliesyn

When you granduate high school you might find out that some American
Presidents quotes Abe Lincoln but they had not part in what he did.

measekite wrote:

> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:

>>> Did you use the exact same photo file and set the printer preferences
>>> the same way?
>>>
>>> I too was surprised when I read the PC Mag review and wondered how
>>> they came to that conclusion.
>>>

>> Then stop quoting them because you look absolutely foolish repeating
>> something you've had no part in.
>>
>> -Taliesyn
>

> When you granduate high school you might find out that some American
> Presidents quotes Abe Lincoln but they had not part in what he did.

Clown, repeating what Abe said - the actual words were written down,
so we know what he said - is an ass of a different color from quoting
someone else printer tests. You had no part in those tests, you never
saw the results, but you quote the reviewer's word as fact.

-Taliesyn

Taliesyn wrote:

> measekite wrote:

>>> Bullshit limited reviews done by hacks with no built-in eyes.
>>

>> Maybe but I am curious why they said what they said. We know they
>> were correct about the speed.
>

> And that is elementary logic, my dear "Watson", because a photo at the
> iP5000's maximum dpi of 9600 will take longer to print than a photo at
> iP4000's maximum dpi of 4800. Higher resolution ALWAYS takes more time.
> The difference between my iP5000 and my i860 is about a minute, and it's
> worth the wait.
>

>>> I'm printing with inkjet dots. And in the inkjet printing industry
>>> graininess is the term used to describe how visible the ink jet dots
>>> are
>>> that comprise the picture. The less visible grain (dots) the better the
>>> printer and the picture or graphic. The use of the word "graininess"
>>> may not suit your fancy but it is used by everyone but you.
>>

>> And the entire Photographic Industry. Remember that the photo
>> industry is over 100 years old. The inkjet industry is 10 yearts old
>> and the photo inkjet industry is really about 5 years old.
>

> How do you figure 5 years, there were inkjets long before that. I had my
> first inkjet, an Epson 500 back in 1995. That's 10 right there,

I am sepaking about color photos of the kind that are better than 1 hour
developing. I doubt it son.

Taliesyn wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Taliesyn wrote:

>>> Then stop quoting them because you look absolutely foolish repeating
>>> something you've had no part in.
>>>
>>> -Taliesyn
>>

>> When you granduate high school you might find out that some American
>> Presidents quotes Abe Lincoln but they had not part in what he did.
>

> Clown, repeating what Abe said - the actual words were written down,
> so we know what he said - is an ass of a different color from quoting
> someone else printer tests.

But we know what the reviewer said and I am referring to what was said.

> You had no part in those tests, you never
> saw the results, but you quote the reviewer's word as fact.

I am quoting what the reviewer said and that is a fact. Read it for
yourself and he did say what I said. If he made a mistake or his test
was incomplete it is still a fact that what I quote was his conclusion.

One thing though, Canon and Epson makes it very difficult to compare
their models against each other and against themselves. They should
have a demo in the stores that allow you to print the same file on
multiple printer using the same paper. If that gets too expensive for
them then they should sell you a 5 demo pack of Canon Photo Paper Pro
4x6 for less then 10 cents a sheet so you can test their printers.
Unfortunately they do not do this.