New: Canon Rebel XT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in

> Canon implies that the 18-55 on the 350 is a
> new version (II

According to Dp Review:

"Phil: Note that Canon has subtly updated the Kit lens, but it's only
cosmetic modifications, the actual glass / lens design is identical
(still no USM here, although there was a USM lens on black kits in
Europe and standard in Japan)."

--

Bill

In article <E_VQd.31915$xt.2176@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net
says...
> > Isn't the BG-E3 the same vertical grip the 20D uses? Because that's
> > what it's shown with.
> >
> > Looks very nice. Although I'd love to have a 20D, if the RebelXT
> > provides similar image and noise performance I might have to trade in
> > the 10D.
>
> Point of information, the grip for the 20D is the BG-E2, not -E3 as on these
> images of the RebelXT.

Yes, I see that now.

> This one may find it's way into our arsenal. My wife has been complaining
> of the bulk of the 20D with Quantum flash attached, and we've been looking
> for a back up body, this just may be it.

Hey, if it performs as well image-wise as the 20D in terms of noise and
resolution, I'll trade up the 10D. I really like the 20D, but when the
300D first came out I knew the 10D was really more camera than I use.
Now that the Rebel XT has more usable features (AF selection, metering,
so on) any hesitation of buying the Rebel is gone.

"Brian Baird" <no@yeah.right> wrote in message
> In article <E_VQd.31915$xt.2176@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net
> says...
>> > Isn't the BG-E3 the same vertical grip the 20D uses? Because that's
>> > what it's shown with.
>> >
>> > Looks very nice. Although I'd love to have a 20D, if the RebelXT
>> > provides similar image and noise performance I might have to trade in
>> > the 10D.
>>
>> Point of information, the grip for the 20D is the BG-E2, not -E3 as on
>> these
>> images of the RebelXT.
>
> Yes, I see that now.
>
>> This one may find it's way into our arsenal. My wife has been
>> complaining
>> of the bulk of the 20D with Quantum flash attached, and we've been
>> looking
>> for a back up body, this just may be it.
>
> Hey, if it performs as well image-wise as the 20D in terms of noise and
> resolution, I'll trade up the 10D. I really like the 20D, but when the
> 300D first came out I knew the 10D was really more camera than I use.
> Now that the Rebel XT has more usable features (AF selection, metering,
> so on) any hesitation of buying the Rebel is gone.

Yeah, that metering selection, or lack thereof, was the deal breaker for me
on the RebelD/300D. It's good to see that Canon came to their senses on
that one. It looks like the camera may be a little small for my cloddish
hands, but it should be nice for hers...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>

>> --Build quality. 350 is presumably plastic, while the 20D is Magnesium.
>> Could be that this is more about style than actual durability, don't
>> know.
>
> Polycarbonate is usually a very robust material. And since it absorbs
> some energy on impact it protects the innards better than metal which
> transmits all of the energy to the inards.
>
>> --Shutter noise. Some have complained that the 20D is rather loud; if the
>> 350 is more subtle, it could be something that the more casual,
>> "discrete" enthusiast might appreciate.
>
> It's odd that Canon have not used the mirror/shutter from the Elan 7.
> Very quiet.
>
>> Just my humble opinion, of course. And it's not just an educational
>> exercise; I've been looking very closely at the 20D for taking bike race
>> photos and such. But now... if the 350 is close, and with a smaller &
>> lighter size making it a bit easier to carry on the bike... but either
>> way I can't lose, because if the 350 is really that great a camera, it's
>> likely the 20D will come down a bit in price. Life is good.
>
> Can anyone say 40D? The PMA show has yet to begin and Canon have just
> begun the dance of the 7 veils with the DRebel XT.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

Nah, they'll stagger the announcements, like the 10D vs. the 300D. You
probably won't see a 20D replacement until late this year, or early next.
And it may not be earthshaking, remember the D60 was a 6mp camera that was
succeeded by another 6mp camera, the 10D.

--

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
>> New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
>>

>> http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
>
> The only downside I can see is the move to the NB-2LH battery - just 720
> mAh. Canon's press release claims that the Digic 2 chip uses less power
> overall, so you can still get 600 shots per battery, but I still don't
> think
> you'll get as many as the original DR with the BP-511 - and it *certainly*
> won't charge the flash as much.
>
> steve

Well, since the 20D uses DIGIC II and BP-511A batteries, I'm not sure about
the logic of using a lower power battery for the Reb. And that would make
us, among others, carry different batteries if we used the RebXT as a backup
for our 20D bodies.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
> > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
> >

> > http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
>
> The only downside I can see is the move to the NB-2LH battery - just 720
> mAh. Canon's press release claims that the Digic 2 chip uses less power
> overall, so you can still get 600 shots per battery, but I still don't
think
> you'll get as many as the original DR with the BP-511 - and it *certainly*
> won't charge the flash as much.

Yeah, reading the dpreview info about the battery kind of turned me off to
the 350D. But the smaller size and lighter weight than my 300D may be a
good trade off. I do alot of hiking and mtn biking with mine so I'll have
to keep the 350D under consideration.

GT
--
"Once you have something that grows faster than education grows, you're
always going to get a pop culture" - Alan Kay

"Old Dad" <frawillen@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> I've often wondered: What is the camera rebelling against?

The ridiculous and humorous example set by Sigma and their toy "cameras"
probably.

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in

> Well, since the 20D uses DIGIC II and BP-511A batteries, I'm not
> sure about the logic of using a lower power battery for the Reb.

They changed the battery to shed some excess weight. The new battery is
light as a feather. It is the same battery used in the S60 and S70
powershots.

--

Bill

Darrell

Nice to see them selling at a loss. The Official Canadian MSRP dropped to
$999 on Wednesday Feb 16. The price before that was a MSRP of $1200.

"Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote in message
> Dumoulin Electronique was selling the 300D with kit lens at 999$ CDN in
> december.

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>Yeah, reading the dpreview info about the battery kind of turned me off to
>the 350D. But the smaller size and lighter weight than my 300D may be a
>good trade off. I do alot of hiking and mtn biking with mine so I'll have
>to keep the 350D under consideration.

The battery capacity shouldn't be a really big issue. While the
"standard" battery only has a 750 mah capacity, you can get an 1100 mah
battery from SterlingTek for only $20. And for another $20 you can get a
dual-voltage-source charger that includes a lighter plug interface which
comes in handy when you are out in the boonies.

Additionally, with a mere .2 second startup-to-click latency, it's not
as if you are going to have to run around with your camera turned on
all day.

Without doubt, this is the camera I've been waiting for.

Darrell wrote:
> Nice to see them selling at a loss. The Official Canadian MSRP
> dropped to $999 on Wednesday Feb 16. The price before that was a MSRP
> of $1200.

Irony? Don't you mean "less profit"? Never a loss, in my guess!

Charles <fort514@mac.com> writes:

> New Canon Rebel announced at PMA

I think you mean "before PMA". The show doesn't start until
tomorrow.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Charles

In article <s0wtt3yihs.fsf@diesel.graphics.cornell.edu>,
<westin@graphics.cornell.nospam.edu> wrote:

> I think you mean "before PMA". The show doesn't start until
> tomorrow.

There is always a nitwitpicker around.

--

westin@graphics.cornell.nospam.edu says...
> Charles <fort514@mac.com> writes:
>
> > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
>
> I think you mean "before PMA". The show doesn't start until
> tomorrow.

Hopefully we'll get some sample pics from the RebelXT tomorrow after a
few of the web jockeys have had a chance to shoot some photos.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=canoneos350d_preview/

--
> In article <s0wtt3yihs.fsf@diesel.graphics.cornell.edu>,
> westin@graphics.cornell.nospam.edu says...
>> Charles <fort514@mac.com> writes:
>>
>> > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
>>
>> I think you mean "before PMA". The show doesn't start until
>> tomorrow.
>
> Hopefully we'll get some sample pics from the RebelXT tomorrow after a
> few of the web jockeys have had a chance to shoot some photos.

In article <Hf0Sd.32417$xt.28775@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net
says...
> http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=canoneos350d_preview/

Who wants my EOS 10D? $899.