Question NEW CARD A BUST

Up graded this thing about a year ago and went with an ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E motherboard. Normally I use EVGA as my Nvidia card of choice and was running the GTX 1080 SC. I bought an ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 SC the other day. That thing is Long, about 3" thick and weighs about 4.5 lbs. Can be a bit of a chore installing it. Got it in and have power on the two auxillary connectors at the rear, plus to the Motherboard. All systems go. I hit the button and nothing. Will not power up. Checked to make sure it was seated properly and no problems. Put the GTX 1080 back in and it is running fine. Getting a lot of stuff piling up around here that didn't work out of the box. Think I'll have a yard sale come spring and clean this place out and just tag everything $5 and you are on your own. :D

UPDATE:
Got a replacement card and got the same results. NO power up after the card was installed. I put my GTX 1080 SC back in. It is doing fine. Normally I use EVGA Cards and will stay with them I went with this one because of the Motherboard. Oh well. Didn't really feel the need to upgrade the GPU anyway and didn't when I upgraded the Motherboard, CPU and a few other things last year.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
DOA can certainly happen. EVGA hasn't let me down yet and I like their warranty policy.

I can't imagine the BIOS is too out of date, practically contemporary, but worth a shot.

Could certainly be the weight pulling the card out of contact with some pins. Try loosening your motherboard screws and plugging the card in, then tighten the motherboard screws back up and try to get the card as perpendicular as possible, maybe even over compensate for sag.

DOA can certainly happen. EVGA hasn't let me down yet and I like their warranty policy.

I can't imagine the BIOS is too out of date, practically contemporary, but worth a shot.

Could certainly be the weight pulling the card out of contact with some pins. Try loosening your motherboard screws and plugging the card in, then tighten the motherboard screws back up and try to get the card as perpendicular as possible, maybe even over compensate for sag.
Hadn't thought to check the BiOS, but then again wouldn't think it would be an issue. I only went with that card because like the motherboard, it was an ROG Strix just like the motherboard and thought they might play well together. EVGA does have good support and can't really say the same for ASUS. I have been using their Motherboards exclusively and have had no issues. Bought an ASUS ROG Strix Laptop from them last year with pretty much the same specs as this desktop and it has done well. Only difference is the laptop has the GTX 1070. Nothing flexible about that card. I did a lot of checking around the PCIe slot and it looked fine and it was snug. I got the thing from Amazon as they were $20 cheaper than Newegg.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS