New card, boot issue

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
I recently bought myself a Radeon 9800 card, and it's givin' me awesome bungholio marks man!

Anyways, this is my first ATI based card, and I noticed something odd about it at boot. All of my other cards (ahem, 'NVidia' cards) allowed me to view the video card's boot info, and following that, the main boot screen showing the CPU, memory, drives, etc.. Well this one doesn't for some reason, and would only start showing the display right before my W98 opening screen. Accessing BIOS isn't a problem at all either.

I'm thinking maybe it's just slow to signal the screen, but I want to know if this is normal or something?

Thanks joos!

-----
Wanted: Wet Nurse needed for 25 yr old male. Will not mind if taken advantage of.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Humm... There is real issue there, but have you try with another monitor. Some monitor take more time to "wake up" and if your Radeon BIOS display is on screen for a short period of time (less than 1 sec.) and the PC BIOS for a short period too, you might end up with a blank screen for 5 seconds if the monitor takes 5 seconds to "warm-up"... It's just an idea, try with another monitor to see if this happen or force your monitor ON if possible.

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I've got a 9600XT and I always open my monitor 5 seconds or so prior to turning the system on. If I don't, display only becomes clear past POST, once Windows has started loading. I doubt it's graphics card related. Some older monitors may be slow to display (as my 4-year old Sony 17" tube). So try turning the monitor on before the system, rather than simultaneously.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
While the above suggestions have merit, your situation sounds strange. Here is why: <font color=green>IF</font color=green> you upgraded only your video card and nothing else this could not have made your PC boot faster and you should be able to see everything you normally see (POST feedback, etc.). If, on the other hand, you upgraded other components (CPU, motherboard, memory, whatever) your PC may have become too fast and in this case it is most likely that your monitor lags behind the system because by the time it warms up the system is well past the POST screens.

Try this: In the BIOS <font color=red>disable</font color=red> Fast (or Quick) POST. <font color=red>EDIT:</font color=red> POST=Power ON Self-Test. This way the system will test memory up to three times which takes quite a bit of time. Cold boot the PC. If you see POST feedback and the PC testing RAM – everything is fine. Just go back to the BIOS and <font color=green>re-enable</font color=green> Quick POST.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 05/12/04 11:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
No access to other mons unfortunatly. I see your points, and I agree. Can't decide if it's a good thing though lol, too slow with an Nvidia, too fast with a Radeon.

If I get lucky, maybe my mobo will fail to detect my USB keyboard again, and then I'll be able to umm... see... the BIOS screen... yea.

-----
Wanted: Wet Nurse needed for 25 yr old male. Will not mind if taken advantage of.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Yea I tried pre-opening too. That along with warm-booting, and I've only managed to catch a quarter second glimpse of my boot screen.

Has to be the card, cuz it was ok with my NVidias.

Ooo, I aching to know what my ATI card's video boot screen says, or looks like... *dreams* Maybe it has Ruby in it... and maybe she's naked.

-----

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Nope, nothing else has changed. Just a new vid card, and that's it.

I'm sure disabling quick post will solve the issue, as it's almost certainly booting too fast (that and me being able to see the boot for a short while). But y'know, I'd really like it just the way it was heh.

It's just more of an annoyance really, and I don't want to find myself forgetting what to press when entering BIOS... I think it's F1 now... or maybe it was Esc... or was it Del?

Well thanks anyways guys, guess I was just missing the ol BIOS screen. A nice friendly BIOS screen with the energy star logo thing at one side... and and.. the flickering memory numbers.. ooo

-----

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Like Slava said, maybe you are set as Fast POST and his solution might work. My BIOS is set that way and I can't see the POST process with Fast POST enabled and powering the monitor simultaneously with the system. Heck, I can't even see the S-ATA detection screen following POST. With "Slower" POST, all was visible again :smile:
But since I don't need to fiddle with the BIOS that often, I appreciate Fast POST for fast boot times.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Okay, lets see, screenlock... screenlock... hey wait a sec, there is no screenlock button! :p

I think a better idea would be to pull out my keyboard plug instead. BIOS would then be forced to halt, thus enabling me to see it. But the ATI boot screen will still elude me... I thinks!

-----

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Ayyep as stated, just a bit, like a quarter second.

-----

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I think a better idea would be to pull out my keyboard plug instead
I think it would be a dumb idea :smile:

Having read the above, I figure you cannot get into BIOS because you don’t know when to press Del or F1 or whatever it is you have to press to invoke the BIOS setup screen. Do this: Immediately after pressing the power button begin hitting the BIOS setup key rapidly. Once you are in the BIOS try what I suggested in the post above. If you are still unable to see POST – there may be a problem. The problem, however is not severe if your PC works fine otherwise.

About the “screen lock” key . . . eh, I think he meant the Break key.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Yes that's exactly what I do ever since I got this darn USB keyboard, accessing BIOS was never a problem :lol: PC works perfectly fine, except for little issue.

-----