New card can't seem to do direct x 11 ?

Nanako

Honorable
May 7, 2017
I just giot a used Radeon RX 570 and have just installed it, currently testing it out, This card is an upgrade to my previous R9 270X, which was at the end of its life

I ran the whole computer through passmark's performance test
https://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

It has individual tests for DX9, 10, 11, and 12. And this card performed flawlessly on the 9, 10 and 12 tests.

But DirectX 11 does not! It manages to render the scene for approximately 0.5 seconds before the display..crashes? The whole screen turns green for a half a second, and then displays several seconds of rainbow coloured static.
After that, it works again, renders for half a second and crashes once more. This repeats in a cycle several times until the DX11 test completes. This result is consistent across several attempts

I'm certain this isnt what the test is supposed to look like, i've run it before on several other systems And its interesting to note that the DX12 test just after it runs flawlessly and smoothly

Given that this new card is preowned, it's possible it was broken when i got it. But i'm curious to know if there are any other possible explanations.
For a start, I am running it through a DVI-D to VGA active adapter. Since my monitor doesn't support digital input

It's also possible that there's a bug in passmark's software, can anyone recommend other testing programs i could try out to confirm this result?

Worth noting that I ended up not paying for this card. IT cost me nothing, so there's nowhere to return it to and i've nothing to lose by trying to get it working

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
I would look at the programs that are running in the background that may be causing the problem. Do you have screen capture software running, open or hidden ? If so try closing that and rerunning the benchmark. Look for a program that could be causing the issue and retry. Let us know as id be interested in finding the cause....

Nanako

Honorable
May 7, 2017
Well, an update, ive been running with the new card for over a week now, and results are variable.

Certain games run extremely well, better than before. I've noticed good results in Overwatch, For Honor, and Killing Floor 2

However, certain other games run inexplicably poorly. Dead by Daylight, Payday 2, Total Warhammer 2, and hard reset, all seem to run at inexplicably low framerates regardless of video settings.
Payday 2 is the most notable one here, because I last played it several years ago - and several videocards ago, on a far weaker overall system. And I remember then getting a steady 80fps most of the time. Now i can't clear 30 fps on much more advanced hardware

I'm thinking something is faulty with this videocard. Though it could be a matter of software or configuration. Any input would be appreciated