New card flickering in all games

ocaleb

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
I bought a GTX 1070 Founders Edition a couple of days ago, and today it started flickering white and texture fragments are misplaced and / or white. How can I tell whether or not it's a faulty card?

Solution
If you're using an Intel processor, try running your display through the integrated HDMI output on your board. Run a game on its integrated graphics. If the textures flicker, it's something else in your system (RAM, CPU, board). If they don't, it might be your card.

Run some benchmarks (I'd try Valley) on your "faulty" card and see what happens. Monitor your temperatures, clock speeds, and power states during these. I assume you know what are considered safe and unsafe operating temps, so go through that evaluation process. Check for big & abrupt changes in clock speeds and power consumption. These could point towards a faulty PCIE lane or PSU, respectively or combined.

If none of those yield any obvious conclusions, try the...

ErikMcLeod

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
If you're using an Intel processor, try running your display through the integrated HDMI output on your board. Run a game on its integrated graphics. If the textures flicker, it's something else in your system (RAM, CPU, board). If they don't, it might be your card.

Run some benchmarks (I'd try Valley) on your "faulty" card and see what happens. Monitor your temperatures, clock speeds, and power states during these. I assume you know what are considered safe and unsafe operating temps, so go through that evaluation process. Check for big & abrupt changes in clock speeds and power consumption. These could point towards a faulty PCIE lane or PSU, respectively or combined.

If none of those yield any obvious conclusions, try the usual routine of wiping your video drivers and reinstalling them. If that doesn't work, try restoring them to an older version. If that doesn't work, try running your games with an old GPU in the same system, and use the same logic as with the integrated HD graphics.

If absolutely none of these work, then any one/combination of these may be true:
-Defective/damaged GPU (most likely)
-Defective/damaged CPU (very unlikely, but possible as a result of a new GPU)
-Corrupt RAM (corrupted RAM can cause tons of different issues)
-Fragmented storage (texture directories/paths may be corrupt)

If you have any IRL friends with modern gaming PCs, ask them if you can test your card on their systems. If all else fails, bring the card to a tech shop and have them test the card while you watch.

This is just the troubleshooting process I'd run.

Solution