Question New Card Freezes when starting a game

Jul 25, 2021
i bought a new RX 5500 XT today it worked fine at first I DDU the old driver for my 1050Ti in safe mode and then install the latest one for RX 5500XT from the AMD site it installed completely without any issue ran youtube Netflix without an issue but the problem starts as soon I start a game the game loads fine until it enters the game the moment it loads into the game and I get to see my character the whole pc freezes and make a sound from the headphone. the power button doesn't work and i can't do a thing only turn off the PSU on and off for it restart the into Windows 10 back again. I tried all the games from Witcher 3, GTA 5. overwatch, league of legends all freeze the pc when the game loads. expect the world of warcraft classic when the options are all in low and under 100 fps it works fine but the moment I try to raise the graphics the game freezes like the other one again.
here are the things I have tried so far
i uninstall the drivers with DDU again and reinstall them it didn't work
I tried older drivers it didn't work
I overlooked the pc it didn't work
I changed the ram slots and took out one of the rams at a time and change them it didn't work
so im out of options and turn betwen two things ether the GPU is faulty however sense it ran world of warcraft and at a higher frame rate than my old 1050Ti i dont know so now i inslated my old GPU again and it works fine and loads games fine. the other things im worried about is combability issues with my PC
Ryzen 5 1600
MSI RX 5500XT
GSKILL 16GB (1x16) RipjawsV Siyah DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 1.35V and Rampage 8GB 3000 Mhz
A320M PRO-VD/S

Bios 7A36v2H
Window 10 64bit
2 SSD 1 HHD

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
What is your power supply? The 5500 doesn't have a huge power draw, but it is probably a little higher than the 1050 and maybe it's just enough to cause problems.

edit: And did it have additional power connectors plugged into the video card? Assuming there was, does anything else run on the same power lead?

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
650W should be sufficient if it's a decent quality PSU. As long as it's not really old or really cheap (or failing) that should be ok.

Mixing different types of ram isn't a good idea though. You often run into weirdness with mismatched sticks. Also running a single stick isn't really a good idea, but that's more performance related than stability.

Can you see temperatures for the important components? ie: CPU and GPU

Jul 25, 2021
GPU in the world of warcraft was at 45 but the moment i raise the graphic it stops the same with other games the moment they start the pc stops, it works fine in these games menu it works the moment i enter witcher 3 and see Geralt on his Horse the pc stop and make dzzzz sound with the headphone

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
Can you try turning off audio and seeing if the games crash? Either try turning audio off completely in game settings (if possible) or literally disabling the Sound card in windows device manager.

Just trying to see if we can isolate the problem.

PrivilegeYT

Distinguished
Do a clean install of the OS, with the new card inserted. As soon as you get in, install the drives for the new card first then test it. PSU's typically don't freeze a machine, it restarts it so I highly doubt its an issue with your PSU. With the RAM, it was working before so..... why would you getting a new graphics card result in an issue with your RAM. Install the OS again, see if that fixes it.

Jul 25, 2021
so I tried to turn off the audio and it didn't fix it and then I instaled the audio driver you linked it also didn't fix the problem, and I already did clean the os before so it's not that ether i really don't know what to do

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
It's weird that the 1050 works and the 5500 doesn't. My gut feel would be power related based on what you've tried. Either that or a faulty card. But just to work through a couple other things;

You have got the 8 pin power connector plugged into the card right?

Is there anything else on that power cable or just the video card?

Are you able to test it in a friends PC by any chance?

And I know you mentioned the PSU was 650 watt but can you tell us the model? I have seen a PC freeze with repeating audio when using a crappy PSU.

I'm also guessing that the PC overall is about 4 years old. It is possible that it's "wearing out". When you look at the motherboard do you see any of the capacitors (the cylindrical things) bulging? Or even worse fluid leaking out of the capacitors. I had that happen on an older MSI board and it caused random crashes when under load.

Are you able to test a different PSU in your PC?