New Card (FX5200) on old board (k7T Turbo) : Nope

cube

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2001
I have a rather old mainboard, it's an MSI k7T Turbo (MSI-6330).

I purchased a GeForce FX 5200 (yes I know it's budget, but I don't care, I just wanted a silent card which could do a tiny bit of DX9)

Problem is, the PC won't boot with it. I tried it in another PC to see wether it was busted but that worked fine.
So i'm thinking my Mobo might be incompatible with it. I've updated the BIOS to the latest version.

Any ideas?

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
I'm pretty clueless here but the only thing I can think of is that perhaps you need to change your agp settings or perhaps the 5200 dosnt work with the agp settings that your mobo can support. For instance I believe the 5200 requires a mobo that supports at least agpx4 but perhaps your mobo only can do agpx2 or something like that.

cube

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2001
I found the problem, maybe you'll find it interesting. Appears my PSU was too shallow. It was a 350 watt no brand model. Now I've got a 380 watt antec True Power, and it's working perfectly. Strange.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
That's not strange at all. Even though the 5200 is budget, it consumes more power than most older cards. Noname PSUs are always a gamble, so putting the two together, you get a computer that doesn't boot!

Damn Rambus.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Haha, Antec saw you comming!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>