New card sometimes not working on restart

Nov 8, 2018
I recently got a Asus Strix GTX1080 to upgrade from my 960 and the card works great except for one issue. Sometimes when I go to restart after a shut down the card doesn't display anything. It comes in one of two varieties, either the fans go full blast and never stop and I get no picture, or it starts up normally but the displays remain black. Restarting one or more times fixes it and my computer starts like normal after a couple tries.

I'm not sure what the problem could be, I've tried re-seating the card in case it was loose, I've swapped out the power cables to it in case some were bad, and I tried swapping it to the other PCIe slot and I eventually randomly get the problem with it not starting properly.

I tested to make sure it was my graphics card by retrying my old one for a bit and had no issues at all.

For more information I'm running Windows 10
My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
I have an EVGA Supernova 850W power supply
16GB of Ram
And a cooler master cpu fan if that means anything as well.

Is this just a sign of a bunk card? Since it's new I should be able to RMA it if it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
There are a couple of possibilities. The first is that the contacts of the graphics card are not making good contact. aThat could be an issue with the motherboard or GPU. The next is that the GPU is defective. And third is that the PCIE power cable(s) are defective or loose.

I would try reconnecting the PCIE power cables (on both ends if modular). I would try different PCIE cables. If that fails, then proceed to the next step.

Since you have already reseated the graphics card and changed slots, I would return the card before the return period runs out.
There are a couple of possibilities. The first is that the contacts of the graphics card are not making good contact. aThat could be an issue with the motherboard or GPU. The next is that the GPU is defective. And third is that the PCIE power cable(s) are defective or loose.

I would try reconnecting the PCIE power cables (on both ends if modular). I would try different PCIE cables. If that fails, then proceed to the next step.

Since you have already reseated the graphics card and changed slots, I would return the card before the return period runs out.

Solution
Nov 8, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply. I've already tried different power cables so I guess it's looking like it must be faulty. And in addition to your other comment I had coincidentally updated my BIOS for another program recently and still have this issue and my drivers are up to date from the manufacturer's site.

Looks like I'll RMA it. Thanks again for the help