New case and aio water cooler

alridium

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017
Im going to build a new pc and for the case and cpu cooler im thinking on getting the corsair crystal 460x rgb and h150i pro. But i was wondering what kind of fans come stock with them so ill know if i want to buy new fans

Solution
Corsair crystal 460x comes with three SP120 RGB front mounted fans. (no rear extraction fan)

Hi alridium :)

Corsair h150i Pro comes with three 120mm ML fans.

ML (Mag Lev) are quieter under normal operation however all fans are noisy under full load.
ML fans are about twice the price.
Corsair crystal 460x comes with three SP120 RGB front mounted fans. (no rear extraction fan)

Hi alridium :)

Corsair h150i Pro comes with three 120mm ML fans.

ML (Mag Lev) are quieter under normal operation however all fans are noisy under full load.
ML fans are about twice the price.

Solution

alridium

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017

So the ml fans are good enough on the radiator, or should i get sp fans for it? Or maybe swich the ones of the case

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Only reason to change fans on the radiator is for appearance or aesthetics purposes. While sp does play a role somewhat in radiator cooling, that's only at lower cfm/rpm. The stock fans are purposed for the radiator, if they didn't perform well at all, Corsair wouldn't spend the cash to put them in the box as nobody would by an aio that really didn't do anything.

CFM is a standard, doesn't really matter how you test (much) the results are the same, cubic feet per minute. SP is different. It's the amount of liquid moved by the fan pressure. That makes a huge difference by testing methods. Blowing liquid downhill, across Teflon will result in far higher sp than uphill across sandpaper. So results are variable depending on method tested. So sp is not really a quantifiable standard as such and the measurements for one fan could be vastly different if tested by someone else. Meaning SP isn't something to rely on when looking at fans for changing out. An example would be the Noctua NF-F12, one of the best rad fans produced, yet has lower cfm, lower sp than a scythe GT, which isn't its equal.

So if you plan on changing fans on the rad, just replace them with fans of equitable known performance because statistics like sp aren't going to be reliable sources of performance info.

ML or Magnetic Levitation fans are about the best. quiet and long lasting.
SP fans are not normally RGB. I would keep the ones on your case and if your finding them too noisy when under load then consider ML fans. Get a 140mm fan for the rear if it will fit for better airflow.
Top mount your H150 with fans drawing air into the case.

alridium

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017

Ok, thats all good to know, i though sp ment static pressure wich meant the fans are more purposed to suck air thro rough serfuces unlike af wich is for an open airflow. But thanks anyway

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sp is static pressure. It's the force measured by how far back a fan will push a volume of liquid. It's the actual testing that's bunk as there's no standard way to test, one company could claim sp of 1.8 on a fan, tested by someone else it could be 1.2 just because the first company tested purified water on Teflon and the second used tap water on glass. Same fan. So just looking at the numbers and saying 1 fan has better sp than another brand fan is next to useless. It's only really somewhat reliable when comparing the same brand as they'll test their fans the same way. So a Corsair ML with sp of 3.8 will be better than an SP with a 1.8. However, you must also take into consideration rpm as that 3.8 might be at 2000 rpm and the 1.8 at 1000 rpm. So if running your fans at only 1000 rpm to avoid noise, you won't get the full 3.8, it'll be much closer to the 1.8.

This is why I said to look at fans that are known performers, there's multiple ppl who have used different fans than stock for a variety of personal reasons, and will say that X model fan sucks on rads, temps went way up, or Z model fan dropped my temps big-time at lower rpm etc.