[SOLVED] New Case, Bigger CPU Cooler, Bigger Ambient Heat Problems

Dr. Clocknik

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
Hey there, everyone. I don't know if there's any sort of solution to this that I'm not seeing and would greatly appreciate the help or any sort of advice in helping to understand what's going on.

I recently purchased an Antec P101 Silent case because I was wanting to quiet down my air-cooled PC (previously had an Antec 1200). I also got a Deep Cool Assassin III cooler for my CPU, just to be safe, since the Antec P101 has fewer fans.

My system is running perfectly fine but the heat radiating from my PC seems like WAY more than what I was dealing with previously, so much that it billows out from under my desk (it's a corner desk) and makes it pretty uncomfortable. I even bought some ducting that funnels the CPU output air to underneath my chair so that it flows outward and away from me. Even then, I still get a lot of heat flowing up into my face.

What I'm curious to know is why there suddenly seems to be so much more heat. Going by all of my monitors, my GPU is only running a couple of degrees hotter (it used to have a fan directly on it) and my CPU is running much cooler. Is it just that I've achieved better airflow and, as a result, there's more heat flowing out rather than being trapped in the case somewhere?

Unfortunately I don't know if there's really a good solution to this (the size of the case, nature of my desk, etc. etc. are all factors that prevent me from moving my PC somewhere else); I just wanted to know if anyone had any insight.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can provide!

Solution
Hey there, everyone. I don't know if there's any sort of solution to this that I'm not seeing and would greatly appreciate the help or any sort of advice in helping to understand what's going on.

I recently purchased an Antec P101 Silent case because I was wanting to quiet down my air-cooled PC (previously had an Antec 1200). I also got a Deep Cool Assassin III cooler for my CPU, just to be safe, since the Antec P101 has fewer fans.

My system is running perfectly fine but the heat radiating from my PC seems like WAY more than what I was dealing with previously, so much that it billows out from under my desk (it's a corner desk) and makes it pretty uncomfortable. I even bought some ducting that funnels the CPU output air to...

My system is running perfectly fine but the heat radiating from my PC seems like WAY more than what I was dealing with previously, so much that it billows out from under my desk (it's a corner desk) and makes it pretty uncomfortable. I even bought some ducting that funnels the CPU output air to underneath my chair so that it flows outward and away from me. Even then, I still get a lot of heat flowing up into my face.

What I'm curious to know is why there suddenly seems to be so much more heat. Going by all of my monitors, my GPU is only running a couple of degrees hotter (it used to have a fan directly on it) and my CPU is running much cooler. Is it just that I've achieved better airflow and, as a result, there's more heat flowing out rather than being trapped in the case somewhere?

Unfortunately I don't know if there's really a good solution to this (the size of the case, nature of my desk, etc. etc. are all factors that prevent me from moving my PC somewhere else); I just wanted to know if anyone had any insight.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can provide!
Well, the basic part is, if all of the components stayed the same, the heat generation is the same. Your CPU is running “cooler” but putting off the same amount of heat. The heat is just being taken away from the CPU more efficiently which could account for the increase in heat outside of the case. Other than putting a fan in a position to push the heat somewhere else the only option is to move the PC to a further location.

Solution

Dr. Clocknik

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
Well, the basic part is, if all of the components stayed the same, the heat generation is the same. Your CPU is running “cooler” but putting off the same amount of heat. The heat is just being taken away from the CPU more efficiently which could account for the increase in heat outside of the case. Other than putting a fan in a position to push the heat somewhere else the only option is to move the PC to a further location.
Thanks, bmockeg! I think I just needed confirmation from people in the know that this was indeed the issue. :)

Reactions: bmockeg