New Case, Different Power Button Pins Than Motherboard?

Apr 9, 2018
Hey, so I have a Dell Inspiron 3647, to which I am upgrading with a new case, GPU and PSU. I am able to hook up every connector from the case to the motherboard except for the fan (which ill make a different thread for) and the power button. The layout is different for the pins and they have a different number of wires.What do I do/buy? The motherboard is an Inspiron 660s and the case is a Thermaltake V3. I have attached pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

(read the captions underneath the images): https://imgur.com/a/C8MECn2

No need to make a different thread of the fan issue. Just describe it here.

For the power button you need to figure out which two pins (or wires on the original adapter) are for the power button switch so you can connect your pwr switch connector to them.

Are there 2 cables coming directly from the old power button on the Dell case? and can you follow them to the adapter to see where they plug in to the motherboard?

The power switch typically only uses 2 pins.

Apr 9, 2018

It uses 4 which is what is the strange part. look at the pictures I attached.

I see the other pics now, I only saw the first one before.

Dell uses their own proprietary technology so it's not as easy as buying a generic adapter.

Your POWER LED cable is the only one you have for power. It has 3 spaces (but 2 wires). That's a little different than the ones I've seen, I guess because it is the power switch and the LED in one. They are usually separate.

Idk, it's a bit odd.

The fans should be just 3-pin or 4-pin fan connectors (they are pretty much standard).

For the front panel connector, the are two wires for the power button, there are two wires for the reset button, there are two wires for the power LED , and two wires for the Drive Activity LED. Any others can be left off.

Those connectors should be detailed in the assembly instructions for the PC case.

Sure you could jump it by connecting the two power pins with a paper clip or screwdriver; but it would simply be easier to remove the Dell power button from the old case and use it instead. Worst part would be having the button dangling somewhere or having to remove the side-panel to turn your PC on.

These are things you run in to when trying to use a proprietary motherboard from Dell in a custom case.

The wires from your case front panel just slide onto the pins of the motherboard. The pin out just gives you the the layout of the pins (so you know where each wire goes on the front panel pins of the motherboard). It is the same situation a new motherboard. Asus for example has their Q connector. For that, you slide the wires from the case on to the Q connector, and then plug it onto the pins of the motherboard. But in this situation that isn't available.