[SOLVED] New case (NZXT H710), airflow issues (?)

jorendebruyne

Reputable
May 20, 2018
Hi All

A week ago, i changed from my 'old' computer case to a NZXT h710. I haven't changed any parts (except for the fans).

I have issues with games crashing +/- 10 min. ingame. Windows itself does not crash. I never had these issues before. I have to say it's quite warm in the room i'm playing but still...
I've used Open hardware monitor to check on my temperatures, because i think this is the issue, but i can't really see what is the problem (this is a screenshot from after crashing in MORHAU):

PCData.png

CPU: Ryzen 2700X
GPU: GTX 1070

I do feel like my GPU is too close to the bottom of the case. I wonder if it gets enough airflow? Isn't it overheating the PSU underneath? I'll make a photo of this asap.
Also, i have 2 dinosaur old HDD's mounted under my GPU, next to my PSU. Are they getting too hot? They are 40 degrees now.

For the record:
  • 3 front fans (intake)
  • 1 140mm fan in the back (exhaust)
  • I added 3 120mm fans in the top (exhaust)
  • I dont have any overclocks
  • PSU: Corsair CS650M
Any ideas?
I'll try playing without the front panel or side panel and see if it keeps crashing games. I have a 650W PSU which should be sufficient.

I will also move the games to a ssd and run them again. If the temperature isn't the problem, maybe my hdds are overheating / dying?

UPDATE
I played MORDHAU for a while (45 min.à without front panel and it didn't crash. After this, i attached the front panel and played overwatch. It crashed after 15 min.
Then, I replaced my 120mm back fan with the stock nzxt 140mm. It just crashed again... HELP!!

UPDATE 2
I cleaned my CPU / Cooler and put some new paste on it (you never know...)
Also, DISM scan repaired a corrupt file. Hopefully this was the issue? Any help is still very much appreciated!

ADDITIONAL QUESTION
Is it possible the problems I have is because my RAM memory is running too hot? If my HDD's have 40 degrees, i can only wonder how hot my RAM is... Is this possible? It would explain why my games don't crash when running without my front panel. Also, the crashes I experience are consistent with RAM running too hot, no? I tried increasing the airflow with the 140mm back fan, hopefully that makes a difference. Anything else I can do about this?

UPDATE 3
No idea how this happened, but my CPU was running at extremely low speeds for some reason (1066 or something). Enabled DOCP to 3200. We'll see. Just played for 30 mins without a crash. I do think the temperature of the room has it's role. I'm playing in the attic, it was +/-27 degrees in here past few days. Now it's cooler, maybe that's the reason the crashes stopped. We'll find out in time :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
D
Thanks for your reply!
I just like the case for the looks :) Read some reviews about it, airflows seems to be 'okay' in the reviews...

I have a Wraith cooler, so I'll just leave it as is. If I experience any more problems, i'll just start by removing the top fans. Starting to think they do more bad than good. They are very cheap ones.

So you think the CPU is the issue, not the RAM?
Well to me, performance > looks. There are cases that do both, such as the Fractal Design Meshify C and the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX (my current case).

Anyhow, your choice of removing the top fans in the future isn't a bad one.

Reading the original post, your GPU cannot overheat the PSU. The GPU draws in air from the bottom and exhausts it...
D

Deleted member 2720853

Closed front case. That's just going to be inevitable airflow issues. Next time, invest in a mesh front case.

What is your CPU cooler? If it's a tower CPU cooler (like the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 for example) with the heatsink raised and a fan blowing towards the exhaust, remove the second top exhaust and only keep the one above the CPU cooler. If you keep the second top exhaust, it's just going to take out cool air brought in by the intakes before they can even reach your cooler.

If it's a regular CPU cooler (like the Wraith coolers from AMD that blow directly on the CPU), keep it as is.

But as much as airflow is concerned, the PSU seems to be the problem here. That unit isn't very reliable.

jorendebruyne

Reputable
May 20, 2018
Closed front case. That's just going to be inevitable airflow issues. Next time, invest in a mesh front case.

What is your CPU cooler? If it's a tower CPU cooler (like the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 for example) with the heatsink raised and a fan blowing towards the exhaust, remove the second top exhaust and only keep the one above the CPU cooler. If you keep the second top exhaust, it's just going to take out cool air brought in by the intakes before they can even reach your cooler.

If it's a regular CPU cooler (like the Wraith coolers from AMD that blow directly on the CPU), keep it as is.

But as much as airflow is concerned, the PSU seems to be the problem here. That unit isn't very reliable.

Thanks for your reply!
I just like the case for the looks :) Read some reviews about it, airflows seems to be 'okay' in the reviews...

I have a Wraith cooler, so I'll just leave it as is. If I experience any more problems, i'll just start by removing the top fans. Starting to think they do more bad than good. They are very cheap ones.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Thanks for your reply!

Well to me, performance > looks. There are cases that do both, such as the Fractal Design Meshify C and the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX (my current case).

Reading the original post, your GPU cannot overheat the PSU. The GPU draws in air from the bottom and exhausts it through the top, where it gets pulled out by the exhaust fan(s).

I doubt it's the CPU or the RAM overheating.

This all points to a PSU issue. I would replace it with something like a Corsair CX650M (2017 units with gray "CX", not green.)

But to be sure, get something like NZXT CAM and monitor your temps while ingame. Also check Event Viewer and Reliability monitor at the time of crashing.

Solution

jorendebruyne

Reputable
May 20, 2018

Reading the original post, your GPU cannot overheat the PSU. The GPU draws in air from the bottom and exhausts it through the top, where it gets pulled out by the exhaust fan(s).

I doubt it's the CPU or the RAM overheating.

This all points to a PSU issue. I would replace it with something like a Corsair CX650M (2017 units with gray "CX", not green.)

But to be sure, get something like NZXT CAM and monitor your temps while ingame. Also check Event Viewer and Reliability monitor at the time of crashing.

Thanks! Really appreciate it.
I'll be back with more info once it crashed again :)

TRENDING THREADS