New case old mobo?

VGM8Richard

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
I want the S340 (nzxt) but have an older motherboard, the
MSI X58 Platinum(MS-7522) to be precise.

I put the two together (my mobo and the new case) and pc part picker says this:

"NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case has front panel USB 3.0 ports, but the MSI X58M Micro ATX LGA1366 Motherboard does not have onboard USB 3.0 headers."

Is this a problem? If so, and let's assume it doesn't work and I need a new mobo,
which do you recommend for low budget?
It needs to work in the s340 and fit a gtx 1060 6gb.

Many thanks!

It's only a problem if a major reason you selected this case because WOW, am getting USB3 up front!

Ah, no, a simple connector doesn't magically make your old Mobo do USB3, but you can certainly ADD to it, as the other guy mentioned.

Or if you don't really need USB3, just leave it unconnected and nothing happens, the Mobo won't complaint a nary bit.

On one hand, a USB 3 port that is fed by a USB cable wouldn't appear to be a bad idea. Can't hurt anything right ? ... well more on that later. From a practical standpoint, you'll want to make sure your USB 3 devices can take advantage of the faster USB speeds. But data speeds is not all there is ryo USB 3; it also puts out more power.

So for example, you'd want to charge your phone on a USB 3 port rather than a 2 as USB 3 delivers up to 0.9 amps while USB 2 does just 0.5

Here's some reported differences:

Samsung's Galaxy Note 3: 7 h 48 min w/ USB 2 .... 5 h 8 min w/ USB 3 .... 2 h 15 min w/ wall charger

Back to will it blow up anything ? Yes it is possible. My blue tooth earpiece died soon after I got my new lappie. So I replaced it ... I noticed that sometimes it wouldn't connect sometimes in USB 3.0 ports and soon after it died again. My guess is that the ear piece's electronics being so small, either the necessary power control circuitry was not either able to fit or it was just not anticipated, but my 3rd one has only seen the USB 2.0 port (USB 3 is on left, legacy USB 2 on right) and it's doing fine. I imagine newer models have been designed to accommodate it.

Even w/o that concern, I'd spend the $15 to get USB 3 at the front panel just so I could conveniently plug in USB 3 devices. Of course, if ya don't have any ... or don't have any old teeny USB devices, it really won't matter to you. but I would get it just for the faster charging as that's the only thing I really use for front panel ports. The rear ports handle everything else.

VGM8Richard

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

So charging a usb2 device with a usb2 cabel in a usb3 slot is fine?
I know so little about things like ports and such that I can't take the risk.