[SOLVED] New case, old motherboard problem

Nov 24, 2019
I just bought the Asus TUF GT501 case and everything is great BUT the 3 front fans on the case are connected in a "daisy loop"(doubt I said that right) and connected to the in-built rgb controller. I have no problems with that EXCEPT I can not connect the fans to the motherboard. I have an ASUS Maximus VI Hero which is considered a pre-rgb motherboard with some lighting on it but not aura-sync worthy stuff. The mobo has standard 4 pin connectors and the case fans only have 4pin rgb connectors.

Pictures attached below, please help

Pictures

Last edited:
Solution
You do not appear to have any problem with the RGB lights in the front three fans - that is all handled by the included manual controller and daisy-chain wiring, as you say. What I believe you have missed finding is that each of those three front RGB Fans has TWO cables coming out of it. ONE is the RGB lighting cable you already are working with. But each fan also has a second FAN motor cable that looks very much like the only cable from the rear fan. That is, it ends in a standard fan connector with either three holes or four. THOSE three cables from the front fans are what you need to find and connect to your mobo headers. Right now they must be connected to something because they are running. Unfortunately the case manual says...

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - I believe that you do mean "daisy chain" versus "daisy loop".

You need two things:

1) A molex adapter to tap off of an available molex power connection and provides the necessary pin-outs and physical plug to service the 4 pin rgb connectors.

Perhaps an adapter as shown in the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Connector-Computer-Splitter-Molex-3Pin/dp/B07JHDQPQN

However, you must indeed verify that that adapter or something similar is the proper match.

That requires:

2) The applicable User Guide/Manuals for your motherboard, case, and fans.

There should be specific instructions regarding both how to and where to make the power to fan connections. And, perhaps more importantly, what should not be done. Read the fine print and plan accordingly.

If you are still uncertain - post your plan and ask questions as necessary.

Nov 24, 2019

You need two things:

1) A molex adapter to tap off of an available molex power connection and provides the necessary pin-outs and physical plug to service the 4 pin rgb connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Connector-Computer-Splitter-Molex-3Pin/dp/B07JHDQPQN

However, you must indeed verify that that adapter or something similar is the proper match.

That requires:

There should be specific instructions regarding both how to and where to make the power to fan connections. And, perhaps more importantly, what should not be done. Read the fine print and plan accordingly.

You need two things:

That requires:

First of all thank you very much for your answer.

The power is not a problem, it comes with everything included, 1x sata + 1x molex to power the front pannel and the 3 fans. I am trying to connect the fans to the motherboard so my ASUS AI Suite would be able to control the fan speed. As it stands now I can only control the back and cpu fans. The front fans are just runing on their own. I would like to keep the rgb chain active aswell.

Ralston18

Titan
You have an older motherboard and there is likely some limit as to how far "forward" the motherboard can go with respect to supporting and controlling rgb fans, etc..

Again, you must look at all of the documentation to ensure that the desired fan/control configuration is supported. Hardware and software.

If not, the issue is moot.

And some ad hoc workaround may end badly.

Also moving your post to Components - broader category and there may be other ideas and suggestions offered.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You do not appear to have any problem with the RGB lights in the front three fans - that is all handled by the included manual controller and daisy-chain wiring, as you say. What I believe you have missed finding is that each of those three front RGB Fans has TWO cables coming out of it. ONE is the RGB lighting cable you already are working with. But each fan also has a second FAN motor cable that looks very much like the only cable from the rear fan. That is, it ends in a standard fan connector with either three holes or four. THOSE three cables from the front fans are what you need to find and connect to your mobo headers. Right now they must be connected to something because they are running. Unfortunately the case manual says absolutely nothing about that - not even a mention that some case cable has to be plugged into a PSU output of some type. Anyway, find the three front fan motor cables and where they go to get power now.

The small issue is that your mobo has three CHA_FAN headers, and one of them is already in use for your rear fan. So you have a couple of choices. One is to get a simple Splitter like this with two outputs

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168124..._re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-161-_-Product

Use this to connect two of the front fans to one of your CHA_FAN headers, and then plug the third fan into the last header. Although this Splitter is of the 4-pin design, it will work whether your fans have 3- or 4-pin connectors.

Your other simple option is to get a three-output Splitter like this

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168124..._re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-163-_-Product

and use it to connect all three front fans to a single CHA_FAN header. I am sure the combined power consumption of three front fan motors will fit within the header's current limit.

NOTE that these items have one input arm and two or three output arms, and nothing else. Do not get a HUB, which can look a lot like that but has a third type of "arm" that must plug into a SATA or Molex output from the PSU. That type of device can only work with 4-pin fan systems, and the mobo manual suggests strongly that, although its CHA_FAN headers have 4 pins, they actually operate only as the older 3-pin fan type. That can power and control your fans just fine, but it cannot be used with a Hub.

Just an FYI. Any fan header can accept the speed signal coming back to it from only ONE fan. So when you use a Splitter to connect more than one to a single header, the Splitter sends back to the host header the speed signal from only one of its fans, and ignores the others. This has NO impact on ability to control fan speeds. But it does mean that you will never "see" the speeds of those "other" fans anywhere, and that the mobo cannot monitor their speed signals for failure. So from time to time YOU should check that all your case fans are still working.

Reactions: MesriN
Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In that review video there is not much info about how the front fans are powered, but certainly some clues that OP needs. It appears that the fan motor cables from those front three all are run down the case behind the mobo support panel to the bottom where they have access to PSU outputs. There must be some device that allows one to connect all three to a single PSU SATA output. Alternatively apparently the case includes an adapter to convert a PSU Molex output to a single male fan connector, and somehow that can be connected to all three front fans' cables. So, OP, look on that back side for the fan cables and their connectors, and you likely will be able to see how they can be re-arranged to use mobo headers instead via Splitters.

The Cooler Master RGB LED Controller link provided by VIC 40 above is the right type (4-pin, 12 VDC) for your plain RGB fan systems. It is more complex and expensive than the simple manual controller (included with the case) and replaces that. It has 4 output ports, which would handle your needs easily. This unit mounts inside your case and connects to a SATA power output from the PSU for power. Then it has a cable to connect to one mobo USB2 header. You must download and run the Cooler Master software utility, and it communicates with the Controller box via that USB cable. This gives you software control of the RGB lights via your keyboard and screen, rather than having to reach the manual button box.

Reactions: MesriN

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to connect the fans to the motherboard and have a usb port left are there other options like this,
RGB LED Controller | Cooler Master
should be able to work with those fans,but cannot be 100% sure.
Should have mentioned that this is about controlling RGB here.

About the fans being able to be powered (and speed controlled) by one motherboard header is what i think she says at about ~min20 and onwards.

Nov 24, 2019
You guys are pure gold. I didn't dare disconnect the 3pin cables from front as I thought I would mess up the front pannel somehow. I'll buy the coolermaster controller and see how it goes. Thank you all very much.