New Case

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AMW1011

Distinguished

I recommend using the Noctua fans were possible, they are excellent. Use the Enermax everywhere else. The Scythe Gentletyphoon fans are not in the same league, airflow wise, as the one you listed ends up be about 48 CFM. The Gentle Typhoons are good fans, but they are a different market, their design sacrifices airflow for static pressure, which is what you want for fans mounted on radiators.

If you are adding fans anyway, get the 692 but don't put a side fan over the CPU. If your not up for buying all those fans then the Tempest is your best bet.

AMW1011

Distinguished

1 x 140mm fan in front
1 x 120mm fan in front (5.25" bay HDD cage like: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_151_257&products_id=26202)
2 x140mm top fans
1 x 120mm bottom fan
1 x 120mm rear fan
1 x 80mm fan for behind the MB
1 x 140mm fan on the bottom side placement if you need extra GPU cooling (testing may show this to do more harm than good, so test it before buying another fan)

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

boo, I was going to say go sniper all the way ares! looks way better imo but there is obviously a lot more then I thought to cooling when it comes to cases. That discussion on the dead-zones created by side fans is an interesting one to say the least. Always thought more fans were better too. Still if the sniper is designed for it then I don't see why it would be a bad choice.

Either way AMW seems to be quite knowledgeable on the matter so I would stick to his advice. I will see how this thread turns out to see if I should jump on the sniper myself or perhaps a different choice (although I hope not lol sniper looks awesome)

AMW1011

Distinguished

What do you mean by 3?

As I said above, I recommend using a left over 120/140mm fan and installing it on the bottom placement on the side panel and watch the temps. Forget the top, it is too close to the exhaust which will just lessen the amount of air exhausted and increase case temps.

Well I had similar questions before and did a lot of research myself, so why not pass it on?

The Sniper will cool well, but don't expect it to necessarily do better than the other cases. It is also a positive airflow case, which is the best use of a side fan, but it isn't as inherently cool as a negative pressure design. Both are effective, but negative pressure will almost always cool better than positive with decent fan positioning. However, positive air pressure can cool real well too, and should do fine in the Sniper's case as there is a boat load of air being pushed with that case and it isn't extremely positive. The good thing about positive airflow is that it will track in a lot less dust than negative airflow, but dust filters still do the best job in that department.

The Antec 900 was the first really popular case to take advantage of this optimal path of airflow with a lot of airflow that I've been talking about, and thousands of people can attest to it's cooling performance. Also, the Antec 900 was one of the first sub $100 to beat out an open air bench, quite the achievement.

AMW1011

Distinguished

You have no idea....

I love my TJ07, but it seems that every few months another case comes out that temps me. Now there is the damn Lian Li PC-A77F...

ares1214

Splendid
i dont really remember being much of a fan of Lian Li. they were usually out of my budget, and i used to be naive in the fact i thought more fans=more cooling, and most lian li have less fans, but in a better design.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Yea lian li's can be quite expensive. Lian Li PC-A77F though AMW?! Sheesh that thing is a monster lol full atx tower @ $350 ay carumba

That's good to know the sniper isn't a failure at a case despite its positive airflow. I never knew that positive airflow was better for keeping out dust though (wouldn't bringing more air in put more dust into the system as opposed pushing it out though?)

My room is quite dusty so that's definitely a pro for me, like you said though the dust filters excel in that department. Well ares, I don't know about you man lol but this is one tough decision :p I'm going to withhold judgment and default to the sniper if all else fails.

And thanks for all the info and research you've done AMW, I will definitely pass it on ;)

AMW1011

Distinguished

imageview.php

That photo kills me.

Also my current case costs $300, so I'm used to it.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

*nods in agreement* $150 is definitely pushing it for me as well. The only reason I'm even considering the sniper is because I'm confident I can snag it for ~$80 when it goes on sale. Just keeping my eye on slickdeals for the time being.

Also, I never even knew they started painting black insides on cases but as soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted it lol ;)

Tillman32

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Cooler master is a good case, I have it. The only complaint I have is the Side fans whistle because of the Honey Comb holes. Sucks to much air and causes a whistle. What I did was Cut out 2 old fans and used the Siding of the fan ( the circle part that goes around the blades) and glued it to my good fans. That way my fans are an extra fan length away from the side so they don't make noise. If you can picture that. Its 2 fans stacked on top of e.o but one doesnt have the actual fan. This wont work if you have a giant CPU cooler.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Well I must admit that I love black interiors too, though silver interiors are awesome as well.

tj07watercooled_by_mexcars_008.jpg

I won't buy more than one case, so I bought what would make me happy for many, many years. With slight modification I have achieved the same airflow design as the Tempest (I added the HDD cages off of an Antec 900, soon to be replaced though because the HDD cages block airflow and I want to make a complete mesh over the fans like the rest of the case instead of the multiple mesh 5.25" bay covers), but with the added benefits of a separate PSU compartment, and 2 92mm rear fans instead of 1 120mm fan. I also have great WC options if I ever want to go that route since the TJ07 can fit a quad 120mm radiator and 2 dual 120mm radiators internally without modification.

The difference? How much did you pay for your last case? Added together with your new case I'm betting your well over $200, while my $300 case has lasted me 3 good years and will last me another 3 years easily.

Nothing wrong with your way though, just explaining mine.

Those Rosewill cases are amazing for the money, though I think this Silverstone has a competitive case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163168

You can get some insanely good cases for under $100 anymore.

I do admit that gray steel color is so ugly, I can't stand it.