G

I planning to buy a Cd-rw and I would like to know witch feature are the most important on a cd-rw and the best quality/price... does any inexpensive (don't want to spend more than 250-300$) cd-rw support raw-write???
and does a cd-rw under 8x support burn-proof (or some kind
of uptimized cache system)?
Thanks for reply

G

Go to this site, I hope you will get all required information - <A HREF="http://www.cdrinfo.com" target="_new">http://www.cdrinfo.com</A> (Ricoh, Plextor, Yamaha are my choices - especially latest ones) :cool:

G

I have been shopping for a CD-RW for a while. I am really a fan of the Plextor 12x. It has the speed, which is most important. However, it also has underburn technonogy which helps stops errors from a cache that is not filled. These two combined make it a solid drive. Check www.pricewatch.com for prices, but I am pretty sure you can get one for well under 300. Hope that helps

G

I've had the Plextor 12/10/32A (IDE) CDR/RW for about a month now and I can say it is definitely fast!!! Only 5-10mins (depending on length) to make a CD. It has 2 megs of cache and "burn-proof technology" to avoid making coasters.
They were around $230 last time I looked on pricewatch. Yamaha has a new 16X drive but it is $300, nor do I know how reliable their drives are.

G

Stanjk3, you can get Yamaha CRW2100E (16x write) CD-RW for $259. Look in <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com</A>

G

Yep - I'd definitely agree.
I bought the <b>Plextor 12/10/32</b> Burnproof IDE jobbie about 2 months back. It's great; it's fast; the software does the job.
I haven't lost a single CDR yet - and I don't take care anymore to shut down screensavers and other non-necessary stuff.
(I don't have any connection to Plextor...!)

My only criticism is that the PacketCD software (for writing to CDRWs just like you'd write to a large floppy disk) isn't compatible with Windows 2000... but Plextor do supply a bit of replacement software for download. :)

matthew f

--
<font color=red><i>Who ate all the pies?</i></font color=red>

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
HP burners are the best around. I had a ricoh that wouldn't copy anything....not like i'm copying illegal sofrware or anything ;-)

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

G

*cough* I think not. The HP's a tech support nightmare.

I like my Yamaha 6416S, It's burned only 4 coasters out of the 200+ discs it's gone through, and I can say that 2 of them were my fault(when burning over the network, make sure the computer on the other side does not goto sleep), and the latter 2 were because of a corrupted image. The only thing the Yamaha doesn't support is RAW DAO. I bought it 11 months ago, just a few days before the 8X write version came out. (I was kicking myself for that though.)

If someone is looking just to copy their discs (aka, make back-ups) check to see if it's supported by CloneCD (which is a raw DAO copy software.) If you are into making your own discs only (no copies), just about any cd burner will do. I use Nero (www.ahead.de) as a benchmark to test cd burners with, and I've find that IDE-based cd burners have a higher incidence of coaster generation (usually buffer-underrun, or because they were using a winmodem.)

Last point, if you have a winmodem/software modem, I highly recommend that you disconnect from the internet and unplug it (and disable ICS/autodial) before you burn a CD, most software modems lock up the system for 1-5 seconds to initialize, and that interrupts the data stream for the CD-burner.

--Kisai
"Hmm, I wonder how many pieces this will end up as when it hits the ground?"

G

Plextor 12-10-32x for $222 on www.pricewatch. Retail version-white box with software and cable.
I've had one for 6 weeks now and sure beats the old Ricoh, NO COASTERS!!!!

Surf the web and down-load multi-meg programs at same time as burning, just make sure you have plenty of Ram (got 192 meg).

Would recommend this unit to anyone even my mother-in-law!!