new chassis tips

wigiboy

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
hi, can you give me some tips. i will be buying cougar spike and FSP hexa 500 watts, because my current casing/psu sucks (generic). i dont know how/where to place the cables, all i know is the 4 pin molex for the fans. i have a

biostar n68s3b mobo (micro atx)

radeon 7770 vapor x

2 hdds (1x 320gb, 1x160 gb)

1 dvd rom.

is the hexa psu compatible for my board? and will the screws of my board fit to the casing?

Solution
Is this your board? http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=517
The FPS PSU is a fairly good make, depending on exactly which model it is. And 500W is minimal for what would be recommended, but it should be adequate for the 80W gfx card and a 125W processor.

Just pay attention to what old cables you are removing so you know where the new cables will go. The new PSU should have a diagram to help you. Basically it is:
Motherboard needs the 24 pin and 4/8 pin 12VATX
Drives need the SATA (or Molex) power connectors (depending on the age of the drives)
Fans will plug into the Same 4 pin Molex connectors if they have matching connectors. Or plug into the MB if they have the small 3 pin Molex KK connectors.
Gfx card will...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Is this your board? http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=517
The FPS PSU is a fairly good make, depending on exactly which model it is. And 500W is minimal for what would be recommended, but it should be adequate for the 80W gfx card and a 125W processor.

Just pay attention to what old cables you are removing so you know where the new cables will go. The new PSU should have a diagram to help you. Basically it is:
Motherboard needs the 24 pin and 4/8 pin 12VATX
Drives need the SATA (or Molex) power connectors (depending on the age of the drives)
Fans will plug into the Same 4 pin Molex connectors if they have matching connectors. Or plug into the MB if they have the small 3 pin Molex KK connectors.
Gfx card will receive the PCIe 6/8 pin power connector.

Solution

wigiboy

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
yep, my pc is working now. thanks, i just wish i had known earlier about modular psu, tried my best keep my cables clean, hahaha! thanks

wigiboy

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

thanks!