Question new, clean, working system failing to register .DLLs

May 14, 2020
To start, I must stress that this is a brand new system, with a clean install of Windows from a brand new USB stick, with working hardware at BONE STOCK settings. All Windows updates, chipset, graphics drivers etc. are installed. Memory and CPU are confirmed stable with MemTest and stress testing respectively.

EDIT: System File Checker turns up nothing, and running the .msi as admin does not help

I recently upgraded from a Haswell platform to an R5 3600/B450/3200@cas16 and long story short its already starting to poop the bed.

First, Heaven Benchmark and Valley Benchmark both failed to install properly due to an inability to find or register a .dll associated with it. Odd, but fair enough, they worked after installing both the 32 and 64 bit C++ 2010 redists. Never took a screenshot because I assumed this was a fluke.

Next, today, another issue came up, again with janky .dll files. My webcam drivers failed to install due to an inability to register a .dll (see picture). This caused me to have my camera unusable for an important Teams meeting - very embarrassing.

Now, I'm confident I'll be able to whack-a-mole these problems individually. However, since it's sure to happen again, I'm hoping the good people here can shed some light on WHY this is happening and hopefully how I can fix this problem at its source rather than on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks, hope I can come back and help someone else here in the future!
xumuwzj.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2020
Thanks for the response! I made the USB with the Windows Media Creation Tool, so I must assume they gave me the latest iso.
EDIT: yes, it's a 1909 iso

Running the .msi as admin did not help.

Interestingly, I had to run the .msi from admin command prompt to run as administrator, as the option was absent from the right-click menu.

Last edited: