Question new cmos battery doesn't work, but old one does???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2020
I replaced the battery in my motherboard -- no beep, no post. I put the old battery back in -- all good. I even tested the new battery with a multimeter -- it's fine. Any ideas?

Jul 9, 2020
Perhaps this post needs more information...

I'm rebuilding a very old Windows 7 system. I reset the bios, which enabled the Realtek LAN that had previously been turned off. The LAN on the motherboard doesn't work (blew up in a power surge). When Windows loaded, it automatically installed the drivers. Somehow this caused my keyboard to no longer work in bios. Even disabling Realtek LAN in Windows didn't help. This led me to a CMOS reset to hopefully fix the problem.

The reset did fix the keyboard problem. I moved the jumpers to reset the bios. In the bios, I disabled the Realtek LAN again. One problem solved.

This system is more than 10 years old. I figured, while I'm in here why not replace the CMOS battery. I noticed my system clock falling pretty significantly behind (so much so I created a daily task to update the clock so as not to mess up Windows Media Center recordings).

I had to remove the heatsink to get to the battery. While removing the heatsink I noticed the thermal paste was a dried up cakey mess. So I cleaned the CPU and the heatsink and reapplied some way too old Arctic 5 I had laying around. The good news is that my system no runs about 30 degrees cooler than before.

So I replaced the CMOS battery and put everything back together. Turn it on -- no beep, no post, nothing. I make sure everything is in place and all cables connected. Still nothing.

On a whim, I put back in the old battery. And everything is back to normal. I know I put the new battery in the right way -- I double checked. I even tested the new battery with my multimeter. It's fine.

TL;DR... why would a brand new CMOS battery cause my system to not post?

Testing a battery when not under load is not a valid test. It's entirely possible that the battery has aged to the point that it cannot handle even the tiny load placed on it by the CMOS while still showing full voltage when tested free of load. Then again, when you installed the new battery it's also possible that it wasn't fully seated and therefore not making contact.

Jul 9, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I guess that's possible... but 1) the battery snaps in there really tightly -- I have a hard time believing it wasn't making contact and 2) CMOS draws so little power I would think it wouldn't matter as long as the battery has at least a little charge.

Could it be picky about brands? I got an energizer at walgreens. I ordered a duracell from amazon today. I'm mostly just curious. And I wouldn't mind replacing the battery so it won't cause an issue down the road. It's still the original mb battery right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.