Question New CMOS Battery not working

Jun 17, 2021
Hey,

I am using Intel Motherboard with Intel i7 2nd generation processor. My CMOS battery 2032 3V become dead after that I got CMOS battery error when startup.

I purchased a new Duracell CMOS 2032 V3 battery and replaced it in mother board. But the computer wont boot or start. Only Once i remove the battery or put the old battery back in the computer boots up.

I tried with another new 2032 Chinese CMOS battery but computer doesn't boot. I do not understand what is this issue since I am using new same 2032 batteries.

Can anyone explain or help me please.

Regards,
Angad

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Did you put it in the correct way up.? The side facing you is the larger side which has the writing on it.

Is there a protective film on the new battery.?

Do you have a volt meter or any other devices (apart from another computer) that uses a CR2032 battery.?

Jun 17, 2021
Yes I did insert it in correct way. The side which has the writing Duracell 2032 Battery was facing outside.

I do not have any volt meter. There is no protective film on the new Batteries.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
This is very odd... Did you turn the PC off before you swapped the batteries.?

I honestly have no further explanation, except that the problem might be with your motherboard or PSU rather than the battery, but I have not seen this particular problem before. Did you turn the PC off before you swapped the batteries.?

Hopefully someone else will recognise this problem.

In the mean time, can you please add some more details about your system. Specifically the make and model of the motherboard, the make and model of the PSU and the PSU's approximate age.

Jun 17, 2021
The Specification of Computer is:

1. Intel® Desktop Board DH67BL
  2. i7 Processor 2nd Generation
  3. 1 TB Harddrive
  4. 450 Watt PSU
Age of computer 10 Years.

I do not understand if there is any problem with computer motherboard or PSU then why it power on with OLD CMOS battery which came with the board and doesnt boot with the new Battery. If there is problem with board or PSU it should never be able to boot.

I also turned PC off before swapping the batteries.

Last edited:

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
I do not understand if there is any problem with computer motherboard or PSU then why it power on with OLD CMOS battery which came with the board and doesnt boot with the new Battery. If there is problem with board or PSU it should never be able to boot.

Which is why it is such a weird problem...

My concern is that if a dead battery works but a live one doesn't then the fault is somewhere else.

I would suggest downloading and looking at the motherboard manual as some Intel motherboards require you do do certain things that other manufactures do not, like perhaps you have to do something before or after you replace the CMOS battery to make it work. I have seen some quirky things on Intel motherboards before.

Thankfully Intel motherboard manuals are pretty good and quite comprehensive. Good luck (y)

The Specification of Computer is:

1. Intel® Desktop Board DH67BL
  2. i7 Processor 2nd Generation
  3. 1 TB Harddrive
  4. 450 Watt PSU
Age of computer 10 Years.

I also turned PC off before swapping the batteries.
Try this.
Remove input power to the pc.
Remove old bios bat.
Wait 15 mins.
Press and hold the power button for 20 secs.
Install new bios bat.
Connect input power.

There is a difference between power on and boot so try to be clear.

Reactions: angads2001
Jun 17, 2021
Try this.
Remove old bios bat.
Wait 15 mins.
Install new bios bat.
Connect input power.

@Bob.B Thanks you sooooooo much it really worked and now the Systems is powered on and the battery has been accepted by the motherboard. I do not understand the logic but its worked as you described. Thanks mate.

Dec 13, 2023
Try this.
Remove old bios bat.
Wait 15 mins.
Install new bios bat.
Connect input power.

After changing my CMOS battery my PC would shutdown after 5 seconds. This solution worked for me. Cheers🍻