Question New comer with a problem , lol hi.

Oct 7, 2021
So after 5 years of use i started hearing some arcing noises from the back of my pc , the psu had a bad fan that i lubed twice and after the second time from time to time no (its not consistent) i hear noises similar to electrical short circuits or arcing. There is no coil whine or buzzing tho. My old PSU is FSP HEXA+ 550W , also one question , can the GPU or Motherboard make similar noise to the one in the video?? I searched EVERYWHERE and found no results..all are just psu..
The video :
View: https://youtu.be/dvyZWz9iYkQ

thats not MY psu its an example if the gpu and mb can make the same noise or not?

Specs : i5 7400
Gtx 1660 super zotac amp (bought a month ago)
16 gb value ram 8x2
H110M-s2pH
1tb hdd blue.

Oct 7, 2021
Can a gpu or a motherboard make that noise? My mb has been with me for 5 years and never gave me issues , and gpu is a month old and never gave me issues too. The psu tho after lubing the fan for the second time 2 weeks ago (and a sudden power outage) , started making noises like these (not my video)

I am not 100% sure if its the psu but im like 95% sure. I am just concerned for my MB and gpu since i will be getting a new psu anyway.

Can a gpu or a motherboard make that noise? My mb has been with me for 5 years and never gave me issues , and gpu is a month old and never gave me issues too. The psu tho after lubing the fan for the second time 2 weeks ago (and a sudden power outage) , started making noises like these (not my video)

I am not 100% sure if its the psu but im like 95% sure. I am just concerned for my MB and gpu since i will be getting a new psu anyway.
A broken or faulty PSU can cause much trouble and potentially kill HW or even a person. Capacitor's function is mostly to smooth DC current and reduce electrical noise. Large capacitors are usually electrolytic and can go dry with age and/or heat loosing some of their function or braking altogether. If fan is so bad that needs repair/lubing, that PSU is too old for safe use.

Reactions: Planeptune
Oct 7, 2021
A broken or faulty PSU can cause much trouble and potentially kill HW or even a person. Capacitor's function is mostly to smooth DC current and reduce electrical noise. Large capacitors are usually electrolytic and can go dry with age and/or heat loosing some of their function or braking altogether. If fan is so bad that needs repair/lubing, that PSU is too old for safe use.
By the way if i will be replacing the PSU say this week. And i am really limited to a budget i cant add even one more cent. Should i get a coolermaster MWE bronze 550W V2
Or an EVGA BR 700W?
I can't add anymore money since i just payed college money..

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Sounds like arcing. There might be a loose wire / bad solder joint. You've lubed the fans so you're not afraid to talk it apart, open it up and look for any dark/discolored spots near solder joints. If you are competent with a soldering iron you can resolder joints that look suspect.

You could also remove the psu from the system, power it up with a paper clip and then use a non-conductive rod (chop-stick?, ice cream wood, tongue depresser) to touch / push on top of caps/coils gently to see if the sound changes.

Oct 7, 2021
Don't know about your other hardware.
I5 7400
Gtx 1660 super
16 gb ram
h11m motherboard
1tb hdd blue
No extra case fans. But please my main concern is gpu or motherboard..can any of them do that noise? I did try to play on my gpu on max load after the noise happened aka test it and no it didnt do it and it was quiet and it wasnt even hot..66C. and my MB seems okay to me tbh..
Also i settled on EVGA 600br 80 bronze

Oct 7, 2021
So i had bought a gpu not too long ago , around a month. But the psu is quite old..5 years fsp hexa+ 550W , my pc started making noise like this :

Note : i know what coil whin is like and this is definitely not coil whine. And even after the noise i was able to play on my GPU perfectly fine. No crashes or stutters or freezes or artifacts but i am concerned..can gpu's make that arcing noise? If so , after testing my gpu and it running fine and quiet..do i not suspect it anymore?

Lutfij

Titan
You should toss that PSU out as soon as possible, the green labelled Corsair unit's aren't meant to be inside a computer case powering anything...except being e-waste. Realized that the video was with the Corsair unit, while you had a FSP unit. Apologies. You should parse the specs to your entire build like so;
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

and mention if you'd performed any overclocks on said platform. PSU's will degrade over time, faster if they're being pushed to their limits and at high temperatures.

Might want to upload a video of what you're experiencing from your platform instead of suing someone else's video, helps with narrowing down the issue. Also, use a sheet of A4 paper rolled into a cylinder/tube and hold one end on your ear while you probe for the source of the sound, to be double sure.

Merged threads to prevent spaghetti brains.

Reactions: AntonyLovric
Oct 7, 2021
You should toss that PSU out as soon as possible, the green labelled Corsair unit's aren't meant to be inside a computer case powering anything...except being e-waste. Realized that the video was with the Corsair unit, while you had a FSP unit. Apologies. You should parse the specs to your entire build like so;
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

and mention if you'd performed any overclocks on said platform. PSU's will degrade over time, faster if they're being pushed to their limits and at high temperatures.

Might want to upload a video of what you're experiencing from your platform instead of suing someone else's video, helps with narrowing down the issue. Also, use a sheet of A4 paper rolled into a cylinder/tube and hold one end on your ear while you probe for the source of the sound, to be double sure.

Ah i deeply apologize about the threads , but i can't take a video since it randomly happens and not everyday..but of course i just decided to buy a new brand psu.
I5 7400
1660 super
16 gb ram

1tb hdd blue
H110M motherboard.
To be honest my only concern is the gpu..since its a month old can it do such a noise? I mean i am pretty sure this isnt coil whine.
Current PSU is fsp hexa+ 550W
Note that after the noise happened i just decided to play more on my gpu to test it and it didnt overheat or crash or artifact or anything..soo i really hope it isnt the gpu

Oct 7, 2021
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

And nope , no overclocks to anything at all.