new commputer time *DELETED*

G

You can check <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1487" target="_new">this</A> website for some suggested configurations. Any of the four configurations should suite your every needs, almost at least.
And with that much money, you could probably buy a 21" monitor.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

>im planing on the cordless optical mouse and a cordless
>key board

wireless keyboards can be sniffed relatively easily from what I've heard. I'd be a little concerned about passwords.

Optical mice are great!

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
when u say flat monitor or talking about lcd monitors?
i would not worry about security issues with a cordless mouse keyboard. I bought a infrared keyboard when they first came out and that sucked now i have a Logitech combo that i have but the mouse is not optical but those or a good way to go.
Mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

G

Here's a <A HREF="http://www.daten-treuhand.de/security-news/bugtraq.htm" target="_new">link</A> to the keyboard sniffing issue I mentioned.

Of course, if you're not careful with you network connection & physical security, it doesn't matter anyway.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

BTW, im also majoring in computer science, and compiling code does not need much processing power--even if its a thousand lines of code.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

>compiling code does not need much processing power--even
>if its a thousand lines of code.

wait until you get several 100 KLOC. If you need to rebuild the project, you go out to lunch :smile:

That's when SMP comes in handy. With enough memory, compiling tends to scale pretty well.

I also have a utility (ppmake : Parallel PVM Make) that will automatically farm my compile jobs out across my cluster. saves a lot of time.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

With your budget, you could get an 18" lcd as well as a high class computer.