New Community Trophy Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graybush

Respectable
Feb 13, 2017
The Tom’s Community has been upgraded! Help us celebrate the new forum upgrade (featuring oodles of new trophies!) by sending us your best and brightest ideas for even more new trophies that you and other members of our awesome community can earn! In addition to bragging rights, the top vote-getter at the end of the submission period will win a $100 Amazon gift card.

What: New Community Trophy Contest
When: February 14th to February 24th, 2019.
How: Reply to this thread with your idea for a new trophy, which must include the name of the trophy, how a user of the forums can win it, and a visual representation or description of how it should look as icon/image/symbol.
Example: “Robotic Rabbit” - Earn at least 3 Best Answers in all tech forum sections, Image: Sprinting bunny.

After the submission period ends, a panel of judges will review and select the Top 10 entries, which will then be presented as a public poll for the community to vote on. The top three that get the most votes will be added as new trophies, and the very topmost winner will receive the $100 Amazon gift card.

We look forward to seeing all the entries, and may the best trophy win!

You can check out our current list of trophies here.

No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Giveaway is only open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia and the United Kingdom, 18 or older. For a complete list of rules, please see the Terms and Conditions below.

Official Rules

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.​

The Tom’s Hardware Forums New Trophy Contest (“Sweepstakes”) begins at 12 p.m. (noon) Eastern Time (“ET”) on February 14th and ends at 12 p.m. ET on February 24th, 2018 (“Sweepstakes Period”).

ELIGIBILITY: This Sweepstakes is only open to legal residents of the United Kingdom, legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia, 18 or older. Employees, officers, directors and agents of Future PLC (“Sponsor”), and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and advertising and promotion agencies, including any vendors providing services in connection with this Sweepstakes, and members of their immediate family (spouse, parent, children, siblings and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and persons living in the same household, whether or not related, are not eligible. Void where prohibited. Subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.

HOW TO ENTER: To enter, submit your entry during the Sweepstakes Period and follow the directions to enter the Sweepstakes. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means or by any means which subvert the entry process are void. Entrants can only obtain one entry. Entries become the sole property of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry that it determines, in its sole discretion, is not in compliance with these Official Rules.

-Reply to this thread with your idea for a new trophy, which must include the name of the trophy, how a user of the forums can win it, and a visual representation or description of how it should look as icon/image/symbol. Example: “Robotic Rabbit” - Earn at least 3 Best Answers in all tech forum sections, Image: Sprinting bunny.

Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means or by any means which subvert the entry process are void. Entrants can only obtain an entry for any Entry Action one (1) time. No entrant can earn more than one (1) entries in this Sweepstakes. Entries become the sole property of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry and remove any post that it determines, in its sole discretion, is not in compliance with these Official Rules.

WINNER DETERMINATION: Potential winners will be selected by Sponsor in a random drawing on or about [[date]] from among all eligible entries received. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Sponsor’s decisions with respect to winner determination are final and binding.

WINNER NOTIFICATION: Potential winners will be contacted via email and/or telephone and may be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a publicity release (except where prohibited), and a liability release within five (5) days of date of issuance. Return of a prize or prize notification as undeliverable, failure to sign and return requested documentation within the specified time period, the inability of Sponsor to contact a potential winner within a reasonable time period or noncompliance with these Official Rules by a potential winner will result in disqualification and, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner.

Prizes: First Prize: (1) 100 dollar Amazon Gift Card. ARV: $100.00. Total ARV: $100.00

Prizes are non-assignable and non-transferable and cannot be redeemed for cash. Prizes are awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied. Winners are responsible for all federal, state and local taxes as well as any costs and expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specified herein as being provided. Winners may not substitute a prize, but Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to substitute a prize with one of comparable or greater value. All prize details are at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Limit one (1) prize per person/email address/household.

PUBLICITY GRANT: Entry in the Sweepstakes constitutes permission from entrant for Sponsor and its designees to use entrant’s name, social media username, city and state of residence and likeness (including, without limitation, social media profile photo), for advertising and promotional purposes, in any manner, in any and all media now or hereafter devised, worldwide in perpetuity, without further compensation, notification or permission, except where prohibited by law and as otherwise provided herein.

GENERAL CONDITIONS: Each entrant agrees: (a) to abide by these Official Rules and decisions of Sponsor and judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects; (b) to assume all risk, responsibility and liability for any personal bodily injury, losses, harm, damage (including, without limitation, property damage,personal injury and death), claim (including, without limitation, claims based on copyright or trademark infringement, rights of publicity or privacy,defamation and portrayal in a false light), actions, costs and expenses directly or indirectly arising from participation in this Sweepstakes; and (c) to indemnify, release, discharge and hold harmless the Sponsor and the irrespective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and advertising and promotion agencies and all of the foregoing entities’ respective officers, directors,shareholders, members, agents and employees and their successors and assigns(collectively, “Released Parties”) from any and all claims, injuries, liability, losses and damages of any kind to persons, including death, or property resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from or relating to entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes, the operation of this Sweepstakes and/or the acceptance or use of the prize. Released Parties are not responsible for (i) lost, late, incomplete, damaged, inaccurate,stolen, delayed, misdirected, undelivered or garbled Entry Actions, entries,tweets or comments or messages; (ii) lost, interrupted or unavailable network,server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections,availability or accessibility or miscommunications; (iii) failed computer,satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure; (iv)jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties; (v) other errors or difficulties of any kind, whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise, relating to or in connection with the Sweepstakes, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Sweepstakes, the processing of entries, the announcement of the prize or in any Entry Action or Sweepstakes-related materials; (vi) any incorrect or inaccurate information,whether caused by users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes; or (vii) injury or damage to any person's computer related to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Sweepstakes or a Sponsor page or social media account, who act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or who are in violation of these Official Rules, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified and all associated entries will be void. Should any portion of the Sweepstakes be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, or submission of entries, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Sweepstakes (or any portion thereof) and if terminated,at its discretion, select winner at random from all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to action taken or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor.

This Sweepstakes is only open to legal residents of the United Kingdom and legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia, aged 18 or older.

UK PARTICIPANTS ONLY: Nothing in these Official Rules limits or excludes any entity in terms of liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence, for fraud or for any other liability which cannot as a matter of law be limited or excluded.

DATA COLLECTION: Information submitted in connection with this Sweepstakes will be used in accordance with Sponsor’s Privacy Policy, available at https://www.futureplc.com/privacy-policy/

WINNERS LIST: The names of the winners will be posted on the Sweepstakes Entry Page following the end of the Sweepstakes.

Sponsor: Future PLC, 11 W 42nd St, New York, NY 10036

Last edited by a moderator:

joshjaks

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
Okay, I see tons of awards for great knowledge on hardware and I completely agree with those. However, I didn't see a good award for RGB. I get it, not everyone loves RGB but some of us live by it. On a more serious note, RGB components are hard to sort through and many lighting solutions are buggy, not working correctly.

It'd be cool if the forums had a dedicated RGB section and experience from users for what works and what hasn't worked so well. For instance, NZXT has typically worked great with their software control, but I've had some seriously buggy issues with Gigabyte. I see lots of comments with compatibility problems between different manufacturers. I think there's a good number of users who would value helpful information in that regard.

Then we need to award the most helpful RGBers in the forums. I'm thinking a Christmas Tree wrapped with PC RGB strips, RGB fans for ornaments, and an RGB CPU cooler for the star. "RGB Expert" would be the obvious title, but maybe something more fun...Fabulously RGB? Blinded By the Light? Baby, You're a Firework? Color Connoisseur? Rainbow Regal? etc.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Not sure how practical this is, but:

Name: Consistent Charlie/Cathy

How: A continuous run of 10 (?) or more vote "ups" received in a row, with no "downs"... potentially in a set period of time. A reward for consistently good advice provided.

Visual: Tortoise.
'slow and steady', thinking through responses to provide valuable insight opposed to throwing quick responses to see what sticks - typically the cause of some whoppers from even the most knowledgeable members.

Reactions: AnnoniMoose

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Another trophy could be called "The RETRO King" for 5 best answer in regards to retro hardware (such as C64, Atari ST, Amiga, 386 and 486 based PCs, Sinclairs). A lot of people digging out their old first computers and try to get them to work to run their first programs or play the first games they played.

Trophy could be a little early 80s style computer (C64 style/Amiga 500 style, whatever is more recognizable in a small icon) with a little crown on it.

By the way: A retro hardware section would be a nice addition to the forum.

Last edited:

Phaewryn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
“KludgeMaster” - Create a "best alternative/nontraditional/outside the box solution" category, and award the "KludgeMaster" award by earning 10 "best alternative solutions" in all tech forum sections, Image: a roll of duct tape.

cupcakewalk

Reputable
Apr 4, 2017
[I don't know how to see the list of all existing trophies, so not sure if this exists. It seems trophies are applied per user and not per post.]

Trophy Name: Exceptionally Clear Writing (ECW)

How: When a user collects a certain number (7?) nominations for ECW trophy, their profile shows the trophy. Trophy must be topped up on a reasonable interval, perhaps 2 years, to indicate that they contribute over time and consistently write well. Perhaps the awards have a rank value based on the level of the reply toward the level of the original. [Do ECW trophy nominations get more weight (1.4 trophies) if they come from a noob, or the opposite. Do individuals get weighted for a ECW deep dive into a topic?]

Icon: A pen (a typewriter or typewriter key)
Using a symbol of an earlier means of communication ties back to a time when writing was more formal (standard grammar, punctuation) and, more importantly, gives kudos to those who can 'splain really well. The level of writing is appropriate to the forum (and perhaps the user asking the question). Perhaps the potential awardee includes a bit more info than a seasoned pro might need with the idea of providing education for some, as well as a relevant contribution.

Reactions: Nigel Spike

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Well I know that I love it when people get back to me in a fair amount of time, so I think their should be a badge where if people respond to posts within 10 minutes of them being posted and they do this say 20 times over a 3 day span they can get the badge called speedy one. It could either have like a Speedometer with the dial set super high, or a hare with lines behind it to make it look like its running fast. I know that this would not only be cool but could also make people want to help others in a fairly quick manor.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Well I know that I love it when people get back to me in a fair amount of time, so I think their should be a badge where if people respond to posts within 10 minutes of them being posted and they do this say 20 times over a 3 day span they can get the badge called speedy one. It could either have like a Speedometer with the dial set super high, or a hare with lines behind it to make it look like its running fast. I know that this would not only be cool but could also make people want to help others in a fairly quick manor.

Just a question... with this proposal, would you differentiate between a speedy but less useful response vs slower but more relvant?

Im thinking good behaviour should be rewarderd. Our moderators and heralds could judge on this. The rewards for this could be a background theme on your comment. the low tier would give acces to 5 background the middle 20 and the high tier would be a custom background... since you have proven yourself to be helpful to this community, along that you make a chance to join the heralds.

ChaosWeaver

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
Trophy name: The Plagiarizer

Award Condition:

Rank/Tier 1 -
Provide 3 or more links in a single comment/post.

Rank/Tier 2:
Provide 6 or more links in a single comment/post

Image: Surprised man/woman looking forward holding a pen with papers in front of him/her

ChaosWeaver

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
Oh another one could be:

Trophy Name: The Necromancer

Condition: Reply to a post left unanswered (with no activity for 3 months or more) which revives the conversation on said post.

Icon: Silhouette of a hooded figure, arm raised to chest height and a glowing hand.

Colif

Win 11 Master
non original idea:

Trophy Name: Comeback Kid
stay away for forums for 1 year or more and return

I will never achieve it but I also don't live in the areas that can win so I give it as a free retro trophy we had before that I never earned then either :)

Necromancy may not be possible on current forums :)

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Just a question... with this proposal, would you differentiate between a speedy but less useful response vs slower but more relvant?
Hmm, i think it would probably be based on more relevant and useful to the person asking rather than just any old question. The award could maybe have to have either a couple of chosen answers along with it, that way the person cant just spam random things on the fourm to get the badge, but if they get picked say like 3 or 4 times to be either a chosen solution or they provide a couple of responses on a few posts that are helpful then they can get the badge? It would probably be easier to get the chosen solution rather than multiple responses.

ChaosWeaver

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
Okay so I have 3 more

Name: Kept You Waitin' huh?!
Condition: Post a solution/best answer to a question unanswered for 3 months or more.
Icon: Blue bandana with an ! In the background

ChaosWeaver

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
Name: Mr. Bojangles
Condition: Post 50 or more replies/comments from a smartphone or tablet (cumulative).
Icon: Tap dancing shoes stylishly hung up.

ChaosWeaver

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
non original idea:

Trophy Name: Comeback Kid
stay away for forums for 1 year or more and return

I will never achieve it but I also don't live in the areas that can win so I give it as a free retro trophy we had before that I never earned then either :)

Necromancy may not be possible on current forums :)
I'm like a yeti hybernate for a couple of years then come back!! Wait do yetis hybernate? Hmmmmm....

ChaosWeaver

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
The last one
Name: The Enlightened One
Condition: Have your post quoted 5 times or more on the secondary condition that it has 5 or more likes/up votes.
Icon: Stereotypical yoga pose (legs crossed forearms on knees) with a glow in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.