New Comp build, What GPU?

Camsix

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Hello,
I will be building a new comp for my wife in about three weeks. I have a general idea of the build which I will list below. The real question I have is an acceptable video card for her. There will be little to no gaming done by her but I am guessing the kids will use it for some gaming. I want to run 1080 res on it at or around medium graphics for most games. She will do mostly Facebook type games.

Intel I5 3rd or 4th gen K series depending on whats on sale
Medium level motherboard (It will depend whats on sale at Microcenter when I make this purchase)
1TB Seagate or WD HHD
DVD drive (Cheap)
2x4GB of GSkill or equivalent ram
500-600 watt powersupply (will chose a quality one when I am in MC)
Case is undecided at this time

I was recently thinking an R7 250 because I have found them as low as 89.99 for a 2GB version, but for around 130.00 I can get a R7 260X. I do not want to go overkill but I do want her computer to be good for at least 5 years. I will take all suggestions seriously, but please explain why you would choose it. I am open to almost any brand and Nvidia is also ok.

I have a lot of experience with higher end builds but not lower end ones such as this. Any suggestions and/or feedback would be great, I want to get as much out of it as I can for as low of a price.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!!
Camsix

ShadowofGhosts

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I suggest waiting for the GTX 750/GTX 750 Ti, it is going to be released on the 18th of this month. However, the R7 260X has two free games with a worth of $79.99. The kids might appreciate the 260X as it has games that come with it (If the kids are young, you might not want to give them the games that they are quite violent).

If your kids are young: GTX 750 Ti (Better performance for 260X, should cost around $10 less

Kids are old enough to play violent video games (Personally, 11 and older is okay, but thats up to you): R7 260X, you get two AAA Games along with a GPU

Camsix

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

TRENDING THREADS