I just bought a new comp 2 days ago..

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
Acer Aspire M1800
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3300 @ 2.50 Ghz
2 GB RAM

NVIDEA GeForce 7050/nForce 620i
Driver version: 186.37
Core clock: 500 MHz
Memory clock: 100MHz (200 MHz data rate)
Total available graphics: 895 MB
Dedicated video memory: 256 MB

I play counter strike source..
i play gungame and nilla..
i get 25-70 fps but i think i should be getting alot higher..
Can anyone please help?

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Try turning down the graphics first to see if maybe the video card is slowing you down.

But, I think you're processor is too slow. Do you notice lower fps in games with bigger maps and more people(more people needing to be tracked by the proc)? Steam recommends a 2.4ghz processor and that barely meets the recommendation.

Evo_93

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
i tried turning down the graphics.. nothing changed.
Bigger maps and servers with more people, my fps only goes down a little bit

on gg_aim_shotty, a small map.. its about 60-70 and on de_dust2 a big map its around 25-40..

i might look into upgrading the processor..

Also in game i get like a lagg spike or something where i glitch for like 2 seconds and it happens every 2-3 minutes, gets really annoying.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Yea, that looks like the processor is too slow for the game.

What is the glitch like? Does the screen tear at all or do you just stand still? I had a glitch that would show screen tearing and I wouldn't be able to do anything for a few seconds, I updated my video drivers and it seemed to have fixxed that.

Evo_93

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
its like my ping goes up to 300+ for 1-2 seconds but it doesnt.. its just like epic lagg for 1-2 secs.. i stop, it makes the sound of when u buy ur weapons (ch-ch) kinda thing and shows what weapons i have on the right hand side of the screen. then i glitch forward to where i would of ended up normally.. :S

It has nothing to do with his processor. Steam recommends a 2.4GHz SINGLE core, and he has a dual core. His CPU is more than enough for CS: Source.

The problem is he doesn't have a graphics card. That chip is integrated and sucks for anything more intensive than CS 1.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Does css use more then one core though? It's from 2004 before procs started to become dual cores, it might only be able to use 1 core. He also turned down the settings and that didn't help increase the fps.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Actually its only 256mb of dedicated memory, after that it uses the crappy system memory :p .
That card should be better then my old desktop's graphics card(which is 6+ years old and it wasn't high end), and that played css just fine.

Evo_93

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Total available graphics: 895 MB
Dedicated video memory: 256 MB

i think the problem is that its only using 256 MB of dedicated memory, if i could just make that more i should be alright cause i know people with not as good graphics cards that get higher fps than me..

loneninja

Distinguished

The fact it's a single core 2.4Ghz from 2004 would mean it's a 2.4ghz Penitum 4 recommendation, and the minimum to run the game is 1.2Ghz. His 2.5Ghz Celeron E3300 is more powerful than a 3.8Ghz P4, the processor isn't his problem. It also wouldn't surprise me if the game can use both cores, Valve still uses the source engine and they've modified it over the years and released numerous patches for their games over the years, source engine can now use 4 cores.

OP: odds are your problem is your video card, you've got what is probably the weakest integrated video card on the market right now in that computer. It's no better than a low end dedicated card from over 5 years ago, if not even worse than that.

The problem isn't your memory. The problem is your have an extremely weak integrated graphics card (so you basically don't have a graphics card).

A 7300LE with 256mb (or even the 128mb version) of memory would perform far better than your integrated 7050 with 256mb of shared memory.