New comp= Must be pentium

airlonnie

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
I posted a computer idea befoer and got some excellent feedback for a lot of people.

I settled on Chuck's computer idea as follows:

Athlon64 3200+ Venice S939 - $202.99

Chaintech VNF4 - $88

OCZ 2x512MB PC3200 ValueVX - $104.91

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB 7200RPM - $109

Rosewill Radeon X800XL 256MB - $259.99 with code CNETHELP1

Antec TX640B w/ 400W PSU - $110

Lite-On SOHW-1673S Black DVD+-RW DL - $54.99

You're looking at more like ~$930 for that setup and then shipping. However, you'll get a much better system for the money. The X800XL will destroy the 6800 128MB in gaming and going for the Venice A64 and nF4 will give you the opportunity to overclock if you ever feel like it whereas the The K8V-X will limit any overclocking ambitions you may have.

Also it's never good to skimp on the power supply either. The case and PSU I chose isn't even that good, but it should do and it's relatively cheap.

nfiniti plus one

Now the problem-
The man insists on getting a pentium 4. I have no bias towards either chip type, but this man INSISTS on a P4. I couldnt budge him on the idea at all. Seems he thinks athlon is some boot leg company.

Anyways, im assuming I can keep the above specs and just change the motherboard. Does anyone have suggestions to what the best P4/ combo is? ¤±¤·¤©¤·¤±È£¤Ã

Please spare the flames. The mans paying for it, so no need to worry. Also, the budget is now 1,500.

Should I jsut go for a better motherboard, or something better in general( ram and what not)

Is anything else on this computer going to be incompatable because of the motherboard/chip change?>

Thanks

I ask so that I can learn.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you have a source for old chips, the Northwood 3.2C was fairly common at one time, and runs MUCH cooler than the Prescotts, while consuming MUCH less power, and performing a little better.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Tell him to either:
a)Trust that <i>you</i> know what you're doing;
b)Do some research to understand why you've gone with AMD;
c)Buy a DELL.

Point out that with all due respect, that one simple comment of his shows why he's not building the damn thing himself.

The ability to saturate the media with adverts doth not a good CPU make.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Oh, I personally would <i>refuse</i> to build a Prescott-based system. Having worked on them I don't like the sorts of temps you end up subjecting all the other components to. Obviously by paying more attention to airflow and adding fans etc it can be managed, but that means more of a struggle to keep it quiet...

A nice A64 system is simply cheaper, quieter, and less hassle for the same amount of power.

Oh, and I do agree with Crash - Northwoods are fine.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Alright, first off is that $1500 going to be for the same components? Or does he need a monitor and all that as well?

In reality, this guy probably won't really notice the difference in performance between an AMD or Intel system unless he's gaming a ton or doing a lot of multitasking. I'd really try to convince him that the A64 system is what he needs however if that doesn't work, then the best P4 you could get nowadays is probably a well cooled P4 6xx series. You'll have to come back and tell us what he needs cause we will have to change the CPU, motherboard, add some cooling, potentially change a case/PSU, and maybe the RAM.

<A HREF="http://nfiniti.blogspot.com" target="_new">nfiniti plus one - my blog</A>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I agree with chipdeath...

If p4 go Dell...

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2000+ down][1.3x2][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5 down][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
well, your friend is ignorant (and i mean that in the way the word is meant to be used, and not as an insult)

tell him he doesnt knwo what hes talking about!

sounds like the people i talk to at work ...

"hi i cant connect to the internet, and i know alot about computers, so i dont think its my computer that is the problem"

"ok lets check some settings then, can you open the Control Panel please"

"whats the control panel"
-------
<b>It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.</b>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Hey, that's the way of the world right now. Everyone seems more interested in staying on their respective team or side than actually hearing the "right" answer. For some reason, we want to show that we're "backing our team" or "on the winning side" or whatever and everyone has forgotten that sometimes it takes SOMEONE ELSE'S POINT OF VIEW to lead you to the BEST and CORRECT answer. WTF is that? "I'm right, and I'll die knowing I'm right, even if the world proves me wrong the next day." [takes a breath]

Ok, got that out of the way.

So, back to the issue, I do agree that Dell is doing a pretty good job w/ thier stuff these days. If you HAVE to buy an intel system, they're not a bad way to go. (and their support is pretty good too)

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
simple really.. if he thinks he knows better,why bother asking your advice ? If he doesnt take it, Let him buy whatever he thinks is good. I hope he'll get a dell with integrated video. Be sure to ask him why he'd buy an ATI or nVidia card when mighty intel sells such great integrated videocards . tell him intel onboard video is every bit as good as the intel P4 prescott. Seriously, be mean :D

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
With the budget that your working with, if he is set on Intel then you need to take Crashmans advice and go with the Northwood. The new 775 series is going to turn out one of two ways. You either sink alot of money into one and you will have a really high performance system, or you build one and cut corners on things like the PSU and Mobo and you end up with a system that will not run properly. In this case the budget isnt where it needs to be for the newer 775 CPUs.

Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> Owned!
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I just noticed that the budget is $1500.00, I was thinking $900.00

You can build one of the newer platforms with a $1500.00 budget. I assume your not having to take your fee out of the $1500.00? If your going to build one of the 775 platforms, send me a PM with your messenger name and let me know when you will be online.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> Owned!
TT 680W PSU

tomr23

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
I have a p4, one of the newer 6xx series, and i love it. And i have no temperature problems using stock cooling. I have only reached over 50 celsius once, the overheating problems dont seem anywhere near as bad as they were, despite people liking to bring it up constantly. My sister also has a p4 6xx chip, and hers runs even cooler than mine.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You better get some thick skin quick. The guys here are very Anti Intel. You are correct about the new 600's as well as the 500's that have the J. They are much cooler now. YOu wont hear this here, but if your willing to buy very high quality components the Intels are very high performance systems. The best two IMO are the 570J and the 670. Any of the 600's and some of the 550's are hitting OC's of 4Ghz on air.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> make that <font color=red>DDR2 855 VALIDATED!<font color=red>Owned!
TT 680W PSU

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>I have a p4, one of the newer 6xx series, and i love it.

I have an old P3-500 sitting in a corner here, and I love(d) it as well. But I wouldn't buy one of them today, would you ?

Similary saying the 6xx is a fantastic chip or a crap chip only makes sense when you compare it to the alternatives. If you only own one cpu, its hard to do that. Numbers don't (always) lie though, have a look here:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353&p=4" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353&p=4</A>

Under load there is more than a 100W difference between a 90nm 3500+ and a comparable P4. I'm glad your temps are fine, but its a simple fact the A64 will consume considerably less poer and require far less effort (and less money on fans and heatsinks) to achieve silence and cool running. That is, if its even possible to achieve the level of silence I recently got from building a 3000+ Venice. It runs fanless most of the time.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Is the 500Mhz CPU one of those old slot type CPU's? Ive still got a few of those systems lying around. I used a 550Mhz up until 8 or 9 months ago. I was in shock for months after I finally got my 3.0E up and going.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> make that <font color=red>DDR2 855 VALIDATED!<font color=red>Owned!
TT 680W PSU

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I don't think we're anti Intel just because it's Intel. I bought my first AMD because it gave me more performance for my money, since then everything has been AMD because of the money/performance thing. I recently had a Sony VAIO Pentium IV and it really disapointed me. My $300 Athlon 2400+ rig (PC Chips board) outperformed badly the $700 PIV 2.4GHz VAIO.
If Intel makes something better and cheaper than AMD I don't think I'll be loyal to AMD. It's all about the Benjamins.

Nothing is as easy as it looks

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im not trying to start a flame war. :lol: I know that everyone isnt totally against Intel. I think that most people are fed up with Intel and that goes for me as well. Im not happy about the current situation. Most people here give advice based on what they truely think is the correct thing. The problem is that the thread gets so one sided that even if it doesnt turn into a flame war it still gets thought of that way and especially by strangers that havent been here long enough to have caught on to our way of dong things. If some balance of both worlds "AMD and INTEL" dont remain then it screws everything up later down the road. I guess you could say that im trying to draft a few intel people :lol:

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I know you're not like that. In fact when somebody really likes Intel I've told them to ask you questions because I know you have a PIV system and you give good advice (and unbiased I think).

Nothing is as easy as it looks

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
<A HREF="http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=monext3dmark&Number=5219852&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1" target="_new">http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=monext3dmark&Number=5219852&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1</A>

This is the 10K thread.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU