maxtor 40gb 7200rpm ata/100
CDRW Plextor 16x/10x/40x
Windows 98SE
Netgear 10/100
300 Watt ATX Mid-Tower Case

TotalEclipse

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
Looks pretty good - I'm within days of buying an almost identical system myself :smile:

A couple of things you may wish to consider if you haven't actually bought yet (I've spent a fair bit of time reading the forums before buying and this is what people have been saying...)

-The GA-7DX is a bit slower and not quite as nicely featured as the GA-7DXR. Specifically it's missing RAID support, dualbios, a better built-in sound card and a few other little things... Also doesn't seem to be quite so overclocker friendly - something to think about if you'd consider O/Cing in the future. Personally I think the price point on the DXR is still pretty reasonable, so you may want to look at it.

-Try to get a retail Radeon. The memory on the OEM versions is somewhat slower. There's actually a 200MHz retail version out now too, which looks quite nice if you can get your hands on it.

-The SB boards apparently have some issues running on boards with a Via southbridge (of which all the AMD-761 based boards are possessed.) Some people have said it works fine, others say it crackles, and because of that I'm personally looking at a Phillips AcousticEdge (better quality and prices in X-Gamer territory). For Platinum competitive prices you could even move up to the Hercules Gametheater XP, which is supposed to be amazing!

-Are you running mainly games? Win98 is better for that, but has stability issues and a less efficient file structure (like it matters with a 40 gig HD...) If your primary use isn't games consider Win2K to address the problems I mentioned before. I'm still mulling this one over myself...

I have to approve of your taste in systems, though...

*As the username implies, I'm generally in the dark*

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Windows XP is coming out very soon, and ATI is also releasing two very nice video cards as well. You might want to take a look at both of these things to see if you want to buy them. I believe, but cannot be absolulty certian that any compy of Windows 2000 that you purchase now will have a free upgrade to XP when it comes out in October. In the next few days I will be sampling this OS to see how it works on my system. If it workes here, then It will Work anywhere. Oh, and with the processor that you have choocen, you might want to have a 350 W powersupply.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Wait! If you didn't buy all that stuff yet, WAIT! DO NOT GET THE VOLCANO II. It's just not enough for 1.4GHz. Get the Dragon Orb 3 if you want to get a Thermaltake HSF.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor