New Components--Installed, there is power but no signs of Life

karabot

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
Hey all,

I got me a few new components (see below for the list), put them all together with my old GC and I see the following:

1) The GC turns on for maybe a second then it stays off
2) I see power in the MB and Memory (RGB coloring etc.), I also see all my fans, including the CPU fan working.
3) When I hookup the HDMI to either the GC or the MB HDMI I get no signal to the Monitor.

I have MB speakers on order, they will arrive tomorrow in order to get more feedback before I start sending the new components back, piece by piece. I also ordered a cheap GC for 35$ to check if it is the GC.

Do you guys have any haunches, ideas of what maybe wrong?

Here's the components:

AMD RYZEN 5 1400 4-Core 3.2 GHz (3.4 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1400BBAEBOX Desktop Processor

ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GTZR

Graphic Card Gigabyte GV-R787OC-2GD AMD Radeon HD 7870 which is sufficient for my gaming needs.

Solution
Red seems to indicate cpu looking at another picture. Can you check the cpu for bent pins? Need to take it out of the socket and look at the underside,all need to be in neat rows.
Make sure you have some fresh paste for under the cpu when reinstalling if all is well.
Cpu power connector is put in fully? Mean 8pin form the psu to the top of the motherboard.Easiest to check so do this first.

karabot

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017

Not at all, TBH I am not sure what you mean by burning then. Yes I do see lights in the MB and the RAM, as well as power in the fans.

karabot

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017

Oh are meaning whether the lights stay on? Yes they do!
Ps: sorry for the misunderstanding

karabot

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Red seems to indicate cpu looking at another picture. Can you check the cpu for bent pins? Need to take it out of the socket and look at the underside,all need to be in neat rows.
Make sure you have some fresh paste for under the cpu when reinstalling if all is well.
Cpu power connector is put in fully? Mean 8pin form the psu to the top of the motherboard.Easiest to check so do this first.

Solution

karabot

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
Hey Vic, I can report progress :). You were correct the cpu power cord was not properly connected! I now see a green LED lit up. BTW where is an explanation of these LED color codes?

But I still can’t get to see anything on my monitor, either through the MB hdmi nor through my GC. The GC seems to be working properly now.