Question New computer build freezes

Apr 22, 2019
Hello,
For Christmas I bought my son all the components to build a new computer. His computer will randomly freeze up on him and the only way to get it to work is to turn it off and back on again. It usually only happens when he's playing games. I can fix anything as long as I know what's wrong, my problem is that I absolutely suck at trouble shooting. His temps seem fine, gpu has never gone over 65c, cpu has never gone over 40c. In the beginning it would freeze about every half hour, now it freezes after 2 to 4 hours. The only difference being a new SSD, updating BIOS and reinstalling windows 10 and all the drivers.
Things that I've tried...
Memory test, just from windows 10 - no issues found.
Memory test by only using one stick at a time, then swapping them. Would freeze either way.
Updated BIOS
Swapped out his GPU with the one from my computer (GeForce GTX1060)
Added more fans.
Updated drivers and windows.
That's all I can remember at the moment.

Here's his build
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon MOBO
I5 -9600K 3.7GHZ with cooloer master hyper 212 evo heatsink/fan
GEFORCE GTX1070ti
16GB DDR4 GSkill ripjaws 2400
Samsung 870 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD
EVGA supernova 750W G2 power supply
Panteks enthoo pro case with 3 additional 120mm fans.

I think that's about it.
Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Can you explain in detail as far as the freeze going on? Has it ever blue screened on you or just it simply just hang and nothing can be done except to reset? You stated that you did a memory test, just from windows 10. Have you tried testing your memory modules from BIOS using memTest+? That would be much more thorough before it gets to the operating system.

My intuition seems to point to your power supply if it's not memory or your gpu but then those are rated @ 80+ gold so not sure if that would be the culprit, as opposed to cheaper no name brand knockoffs.

Any driver conflicts when you look at device manager by any chance? Also, I remember that there was a youtube video of some troubleshooter a while back that found intermittent resets from a bad switch in the pc case itself that was causing the problem. It could be that maybe the 2-pin, 3-pin or 4-pin connectors from your io case or the fans supplied could be causing issues as well.

If you really want to go to the basics and get knee deep in troubleshooting, you might want to take out the card (connect to integrated graphics instead), leave 1 memory stick in, and disconnect all the chassis and peripheral fans (except for cpu fan of course). Leave 1 storage drive in ( your m.2) and do memTest for at least 2 hours. Then go in windows and run a stress test and benchmark for about 30-45 minutes, then if all those passes fire up same game you were playing. If it all passes then slowly add 1 by 1 such as your GPU and retest, then the 2nd memory module stick, then start connecting the fans one by one and it's painstalking but you might be able to finally isolate the problem. Good luck!

Apr 22, 2019
It has never blue screened. It just freezes, we can still see the game he's playing on the screen but we can't do a thing, not even move the mouse cursor. we've tried letting it sit there but it never comes back, we just have to reset it.

I have not tried testing the memory from BIOS, I will give that a try.

I will also check device manager as you suggested.

I don't mind getting knee deep into this issue, I would just like it fixed and working properly.

Apr 22, 2019
Ran memtest, that's a long test, 3 plus hours. Came back with no errors. I also looked at device manager, couldn't find any conflicts. Guess I'll try your next suggestion and unplug/take everything out to see what happens.