[SOLVED] new computer build isn't powering on but all lighting up

Dec 11, 2018
hello, I am trying to help a friend states away put his computer together but once we've plugged everything in there is no display showing up on the monitor and no beeps or sound to see if we got in to the bios(even though the display isn't coming on too). we've tried plugging hdmi into the gpu and the motherboard but still can't see anything, also tried using 1 ram stick only... I have no idea what went wrong but everything is lighting up all the front panel connectors are connected, it turns on, all fans are working, but nothing shows up on screens, and we even tried changing hdmi cords. does anyone have any idea what to do ? thanks

I-8700K CPU
asus prime z370a MOBO
corsair vengeance 16g RAM
gigabyte 1080ti aorus 11gb GPU
rosewill glacier 850 80+ bronze PSU
2tb western dig HDD
and noctua NHD15 CPU Cooler

Solution
my suggestions for a start :

remove GFX card
remove HDD
remove all but 1 stick of RAM (slot A2 for that board would be best from memory)
remove and replug all power connectors (ensure 24 pin and 8 pin are both connected to motherboard especially)
check the front panel connector cables especially the pwr and reset switch against the manual.
plug monitor into the motherboard gfx port

turn on power. if nothing happens switch RAM sticks (i assume its a 2x8GB set) and try again.

if nothing then you're left with painful process of working out which of the remaining components are DOA. Do you ahve any spare parts that could be substituted in? A spare PSU perhaps?

you obviously have done some research into this build but why the rosewill...

Shady42

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
my suggestions for a start :

remove GFX card
remove HDD
remove all but 1 stick of RAM (slot A2 for that board would be best from memory)
remove and replug all power connectors (ensure 24 pin and 8 pin are both connected to motherboard especially)
check the front panel connector cables especially the pwr and reset switch against the manual.
plug monitor into the motherboard gfx port

turn on power. if nothing happens switch RAM sticks (i assume its a 2x8GB set) and try again.

if nothing then you're left with painful process of working out which of the remaining components are DOA. Do you ahve any spare parts that could be substituted in? A spare PSU perhaps?

you obviously have done some research into this build but why the rosewill PSU? its the only odd component in there and i can't speak to their reliability. why not an equivalent Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic etc? They are far easier to rely upon to work as advertised.

EDIT - @fauzan_22 thanks thats just wayyyy easier. bookmarking that post for reuse :)

Solution