[SOLVED] New Computer Build, Low FPS

Jul 20, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I just did my first computer build and am new at this. I followed PC Part Picker's Modest Intel Build (https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/tTgXsY/modest-intel-gaming-build ) which includes the following components:

Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
Gigabyte B365M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Team MS30 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card
Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA B5 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Sceptre E255B-1658A 24.5" 165Hz 144Hz 1ms AMD FreeSync Gaming LED Monitor 2X HDMI 2.0 1x DisplayPort RTS FPS Build-in Speakers
Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV Bluetooth 4.2/Wireless AC/B/G/N Band Dual Frequency 2.4Ghz/5.8Ghz Expansion Card

Everything seemed to be working great, but when I play Fortnite, the FPS either runs really low (~15), or goes from low to high (10-90).

I’ve updated all relevant drivers. I made sure my internet speed is high at 180 mbps. I disabled the CPU graphics in BIOS. I turned the fortnite settings to low and turned off vsync and motion blur. I turned power to high performance in the control panel. None of these have worked.

Now I’m thinking it’s the CPU temp which has reached as high as 90 C. This build did not instruct to add a heat sink. It looks like a hot CPU can lead to throttling which can result in low FPS.

Does this sound reasonable? I ordered a heat sink and thermal paste so we’ll see if that works. Thanks for any direction you can provide.

Solution
Thanks everyone! In answer to RodroX, all the drivers are up to date. I've not reinstalled Windows yet. Since I only installed it a week ago, I didn't consider that, but will give it a shot if the heat sink and thermal paste don't do the trick. Thanks!

Thats ok, I asked cause many people just take the OS drive from an old computar and put it inside the new one and wait/hope for it to work ok.

Did you build the PC yourself?, That Core i5 9400F should have come with a stock cooler (with pre-applied thermal paste).

Perhaps the installation did not go well and the cooler is not well mounted?
Your CPU probably came with the boxed stock cooler, and the fractal case have atleast 2 case fans, but I think they are both at the front, I would either put one on the back or add another 120mm fan at the back.

Still I would not blame case fans for the really low 10 FPS.

So did you made a new clean install of Windowds 10?, Are all drivers uptodate?

Jul 20, 2020
Thanks everyone! In answer to RodroX, all the drivers are up to date. I've not reinstalled Windows yet. Since I only installed it a week ago, I didn't consider that, but will give it a shot if the heat sink and thermal paste don't do the trick. Thanks!

Thats ok, I asked cause many people just take the OS drive from an old computar and put it inside the new one and wait/hope for it to work ok.

Did you build the PC yourself?, That Core i5 9400F should have come with a stock cooler (with pre-applied thermal paste).

Solution
Jul 20, 2020
I did. I bought the i5 on Amazon and double checked, it does not include the heat sink. Two weeks ago I didn't even know what a heat sink was so I didn't think to check into that, but apparently it does come with one when you buy it from other suppliers. Oh well, I've ordered one and the paste so hopefully it'll be running better afterward. If not, I'm sure you'll hear from me again as I'll be pulling my hair out at that point : )

Thanks again!!!

I

I did. I bought the i5 on Amazon and double checked, it does not include the heat sink. Two weeks ago I didn't even know what a heat sink was so I didn't think to check into that, but apparently it does come with one when you buy it from other suppliers. Oh well, I've ordered one and the paste so hopefully it'll be running better afterward. If not, I'm sure you'll hear from me again as I'll be pulling my hair out at that point : )

Thanks again!!!

I
So you basically have no cooler over the CPU? Like (for example) this picture?

https://legitreviews.com/images/reviews/2096/cpu-installed.jpg

If thats the case it will explain why having such a high temps.

So you basically have no cooler over the CPU? Like (for example) this picture?

https://legitreviews.com/images/reviews/2096/cpu-installed.jpg

If thats the case it will explain why having such a high temps.

That's exactly what it looks like. Thx for confirming.

Hate to break it to you, but you may have damaged that CPU running it with no cooler. I recommend NOT running it anymore until you get a cooler, and then hope for the best.
This is painful to read. I feel sorry for you cpvoss, but at least you hopefully learned a decent lesson. Research the subject. Check your work, confirm it's correct.

Jun 18, 2020

TRENDING THREADS