[SOLVED] New Computer Build: No Bootable Devices

Dec 4, 2021
Hello. I am building a new computer around an Asus Prime Z5910-P motherboard and an Intel i7 10700k processor. The build includes a HDD (Seagate Barracude ST2000), and a SSD (Corsair Force MP510 M.2). The BIOS recognizes both HHD and SSD in the Storage section, yet the BIOS Boot section says "no bootable devices".

What do I need to do to get the BIOS to recognize the HHD and SSD as bootable devices?

I should also note that all components are brand-new and have never been installed in any other machine, and there is yet no OS or drivers on either drive.

Thanks

Solution
That's the weird thing: right now, NOTHING is listed in the BIOS boot order. It says only "no bootable device found". If I start the computer with a flash drive in the USB port, then the flash drive shows up as the ONLY thing in the BIOS boot order.

So I have been assuming it is pointless to load the OS onto the SSD if the BIOS isn't recognizing the (empty) SSD as a "bootable device".

But I can load an OS onto the SSD thru the USB port. (the DiskPart utility recognizes both the HDD and SSD). And if I am understanding you correctly, once I do that, then the BIOS should be able to find the OS and launch it.

I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks again.
Exactly as it should be.

The USB is currently the only bootable...

USAFRet

Titan
Until you install an operating system, there is nothing to boot from.
And you install that OS with only ONE drive connected, presumably the SSD.

Dec 4, 2021
Thank you USAFRet for your reply.

I have not yet installed the OS on the computer because the BIOS tells me there is no bootable device on the computer.

Are you suggesting that the BIOS needs an OS installed on a drive before the BIOS will recognize that drive as a "bootable device"?

Currently, there are 2 drives installed on the computer: a SSD and a HDD. I have not yet installed an OS on a drive. None of the installed drives are recognized by the BIOS as "bootable devices". If I start the computer with a flash drive in the USB port, the BIOS will recognize the flash drive only as a "bootable device" (whether or not that flash drive has an OS installer on it).

Excuse my ignorance, but if BIOS can't find a bootable device, how does the BIOS know where to find the OS?

Dec 4, 2021
Thank you again for you reply USAFRet

AND thank you for the link to the Win 10 Install tutorial.

I think I am learning something here. The last time I built a computer, I had to go in the BIOS to tell it to include the DVD drive in the boot order, and then load the OS thru the DVD drive. And I assumed I would need to do something similar with this new build.

But if I am understanding you correctly, I can go ahead and install the OS on a drive (yes, I'm planning on installing the OS on the SSD), and then that drive will be recognized by the BIOS as a "bootable device", and should then launch the OS as well. Is that correct?

USAFRet

Titan
The USB interface should be a current selection in the 'boot order'.
The BIOS will go down the list one by one until it finds something viable to boot from...the USB.

If it does NOT, you can interrupt the boot process, and tell it specifically..."Boot from that thing."

Dec 4, 2021
That's the weird thing: right now, NOTHING is listed in the BIOS boot order. It says only "no bootable device found". If I start the computer with a flash drive in the USB port, then the flash drive shows up as the ONLY thing in the BIOS boot order.

So I have been assuming it is pointless to load the OS onto the SSD if the BIOS isn't recognizing the (empty) SSD as a "bootable device".

But I can load an OS onto the SSD thru the USB port. (the DiskPart utility recognizes both the HDD and SSD). And if I am understanding you correctly, once I do that, then the BIOS should be able to find the OS and launch it.

USAFRet

Titan

Exactly as it should be.

The USB is currently the only bootable thing in there.
Your SSD will NOT appear as anything bootable, until after you install the OS on it.

Again, ONLY the SSD connected.
Boot from the USB.
Follow the instructions.

Solution
Dec 4, 2021
Reporting in: Today, I loaded Win 10 on the SSD thru the USB port. The install was trouble-free, and the computer booted to Windows when it was done.

Exactly as described, if I now enter the BIOS, the SSD is now listed in the Boot Priority section as a bootable device.

Problem solved!

Thanks again USAFRet for your help.

Reactions: USAFRet