New Computer Build - Slow Internet

mk04

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Hello all. So I finished building my computer but yet another problem arises.. Slow internet connection. I don't think I did anything wrong in my build as I'm using a wireless adapter that I bought separately. Thing is, the speed fluctuates from time to time. At times it's very fast, then at times it's as if I'm not even connected to the internet.. It's quite frustrating. Has anyone experienced this after a new build?

Solution
The Modem connects to the wall through cable or DSL.

The modem connects to the router. with a Cat5e cable.

The router provides Wifi and a switch; which should have 4 -5 ports on the back.

Some modems are wifi also, but don't normally have a lot of ports on the back.

mk04

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

It's cause I already have a "main" computer that's plugged into the router already. I was thinking of updating my BIOS as I have not configured anything on that yet. Would that be of any help?

Should be multiple ports on the back of the router.

If there isn't, get a new router with 5 or 6 ports at least.

Nothing bios related.

Run a Speedtest on the Wireless system and compare to the dedicated NIC card.
http://speedof.me/
Either the Network card is only Wireless G and not N+
The Router is only Wireless G and not N+
The computer plugged into the router is saturating all the bandwidth itself
There is some type of electrical interference that's dropping the signal, like other routers in the area.

mk04

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

But I've never had this problem when I was on my laptop that is connected to WiFi.. and I was on that laptop only a couple of hours ago and it was fine then.. Even if the router did have extra ports, it's not near me. Are you perhaps suggesting that I should connect to the router no matter what?

Dedicated network has less latency (better ping), better speeds and it's more secure. If you plug it in now and test the network, you can see if the issue is related to the wireless setup or if the internet on the new system slow no-matter how it's connected.

For a tower setup, I wouldn't use wireless. What card did you purchase? Remember there's a lot going on in the case, if anything is touching the card, it can cause radio interference. Even vibrations from the fans.

mk04

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Card? As in a network card? If so, I didn't buy a network card lol

mk04

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
I don't think mine has a build in network card.. I'm using the Asus z77-A. As for the wireless, I'm using an USB adapter. I'm going to reset my modem and see if that helps.. as well as updating my BIOS, I shall brb

Modem won't make any difference. USB is slow.

mk04

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

The speed fluctuates so much.. I'm guessing it's really cause of the USB adapter? T.T

mk04

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

You mentioned the router in your earlier post, so I'm guessing I have to have the modem and router near me to go that route? Since I have to directly hook it up to the router in this case.. I'd rather not get a card I have to put in a PCI slot.. Don't want to open up my case again atm lol

The Modem connects to the wall through cable or DSL.

The modem connects to the router. with a Cat5e cable.

The router provides Wifi and a switch; which should have 4 -5 ports on the back.

Some modems are wifi also, but don't normally have a lot of ports on the back.

Solution

mk04

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Okay, thank you.